New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New owner of a misfiring 2000 Disco II!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 12:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by samroy92
So I tinkered around with the wires today, I honestly couldn't even pull out the wire after my workout... But I noticed the radio now has a loud cutout and THUMPING noise in tune with the engine.

I am now guessing there is some electrical grounding on the bad wire, cylinder 5. I think I will go for the whammy this weekend and replace all plugs and wires myself.

Anyone have any thoughts on the radio? It's a loud, high frequency cut-out and buffeting. Almost like the radio is being played back via microphone in a windy environment.

--Sam
That's probably good news. In the universe of problems that cause a misfire that's a good one. Something is definitely grounding. I bet when you replace the wires the radio will behave, and so will cylinder 5.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:47 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
That's probably good news. In the universe of problems that cause a misfire that's a good one. Something is definitely grounding. I bet when you replace the wires the radio will behave, and so will cylinder 5.
Haha, yeah I was thinking the same thing. I am buying the Magnecor #87242, Bosch #4418. A 3/8 drive 5/8 deep swivel and long drive extension.

This is going to be a PAIN. It's a difference of $650 vs $220 + 6 hours of labor.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:56 AM
Camel Trophy

Haha, yeah I was thinking the same thing. I am buying the Magnecor #87242, Bosch #4418. A 3/8 drive 5/8 deep swivel and long drive extension.

This is going to be a PAIN. It's a difference of $650 vs $220 + 6 hours of labor.
Sam I recall that this isn't your first Disco. You may have gathered that I have a 2000, too. So neither of us have the hated SAI. Are you planning to remove the upper intake to change the wires? I have replaced them (once and only once) leaving the upper intake in place but have removed it (many times) every time since then to get at the coils. You probably know you need a 10mm for the six upper intake bolts and an 8mm for the coil bolts if you go that route. If you haven't done that before I can shoot you a quick video just pointing it all out.

Oh it also just dawned on me 5 is on the driver side so you have more in the way of the spark plug but I guess that's the least of your worries.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:15 PM
Mudding

Sam I recall that this isn't your first Disco. You may have gathered that I have a 2000, too. So neither of us have the hated SAI. Are you planning to remove the upper intake to change the wires? I have replaced them (once and only once) leaving the upper intake in place but have removed it (many times) every time since then to get at the coils. You probably know you need a 10mm for the six upper intake bolts and an 8mm for the coil bolts if you go that route. If you haven't done that before I can shoot you a quick video just pointing it all out.

Oh it also just dawned on me 5 is on the driver side so you have more in the way of the spark plug but I guess that's the least of your worries.
Haha, I WISH! I have the SAI in this Disco . You are correct, a few years back I owned a 98' Disco I, much easier to change plugs and wires. Going to do it this weekend though - I will let you know.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Camel Trophy

Haha, I WISH! I have the SAI in this Disco . You are correct, a few years back I owned a 98' Disco I, much easier to change plugs and wires. Going to do it this weekend though - I will let you know.
Ah. I forget about their SAI. Condolences and good luck this weekend! We will both be performing surgery on our 00's.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:30 PM
Mudding

Well I just finished replacing all the plugs and wires. That was a PAIN... Haha, at least it's over. I found the bent screwdriver to be the all important tool, not the J pliers.

However even after all have been replaced I am still faced with the same issue, cylinder 5 code misfire. Rough acceleration. And the radio is popping with the frequency of the engine - turn engine off radio is fine.

I will take it in to the shop and get the injectors cleaned. And I will take a look under the hood in about an hour if I see any visible electric discharge in the engine bay.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:18 PM
Camel Trophy

Well I just finished replacing all the plugs and wires. That was a PAIN... Haha, at least it's over. I found the bent screwdriver to be the all important tool, not the J pliers.

However even after all have been replaced I am still faced with the same issue, cylinder 5 code misfire. Rough acceleration. And the radio is popping with the frequency of the engine - turn engine off radio is fine.

I will take it in to the shop and get the injectors cleaned. And I will take a look under the hood in about an hour if I see any visible electric discharge in the engine bay.
Sam have you checked to see that the grounding wire is securely connected at the back of the driver side head? I suggested that in another mystery misfire thread and it fixed his issue. It should be a threaded, flexible, metal strap and it is bolted to the driver side head and the firewall. You should be able to see it without moving anything.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:45 PM
Mudding

Sam have you checked to see that the grounding wire is securely connected at the back of the driver side head? I suggested that in another mystery misfire thread and it fixed his issue. It should be a threaded, flexible, metal strap and it is bolted to the driver side head and the firewall. You should be able to see it without moving anything.
So I checked this wire when I got home (super lazy status) and just poked it around with a screwdriver and moved it a bit. It seems to be still attached just fine.

When I started up the rover, it was rough and rich cold - once it warmed up the radio was A LOT better. It still had some skipping but I could tell a huge difference. I have to go out tonight but more updates tomorrow...

I need to take it out for a proper drive to gather more codes, and mess around with the ground strap a bit more. I have screenshots of all sorts of dynamic ODB info - long term fuel trim seems good. One of the banks was running super rich but after the car warmed up it went back to 0-4%.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

just poked it around with a screwdriver and moved it a bit. It seems to be still attached just fine.
Easily moved by poking not fine for a ground wire.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:39 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by number9
Easily moved by poking not fine for a ground wire.
Thanks for reply, It's more like a grounding strap. It's braided from the engine to the firewall and attached with nuts.

Still not OK?

Quick Reply: New owner of a misfiring 2000 Disco II!!