New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New from PDX

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New from PDX

Hey everyone-

After searching for quite a while (9 different Discoveries), I finally found one to purchase. It's an '02 with 73K miles and not as "perfect" as I thought. So far I have replaced:
  • headgaskets
  • battery
  • wipers (stupid expensive design)
  • power steering pump
  • rear driveshaft (no more roto-flex)
  • front, rear, transfer case fluid (75W140 synthetic)
I currently have the headliner out chasing down a couple of leaks, and plan to replace the front drive with a greaseable unit soon.

Through all the above, I still love the truck and look forward to "beating it into submission". I spend a fair amount of time going through the forum and appreciate everyone's contributions.
012.jpg?t=1312068216

Old 07-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Welcome. A sharp vehicle, and you have made quite a start on repair items. If you don't already have the RAVE download of free tech manuals, here is a link. You may not want to delay the front prop shaft work, if it goes, it can take the tranny with it. A number of posts on that item. In the forum tech sections there is a sticky on just how to easily rebuild these units.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:56 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I downloaded the Rave manual before I got the truck to get an idea about DIY repairs. It has been very useful thus far. Thank you for the heads up on the front driveshaft.
On a side note, I have owned a number of "maintenance heavy" vehicles over the years, so there isn't really anything about the Discoveries that "scares" me. It also helps there are a number of local resources in the Portland area to help with the issues I cannot tackle myself.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I always take the opportunity to look over Rovers found in the u-pull-it salvage yards. The price of tuition is very low, you can see what other things look like pulled apart, etc. The large yards in the metro area in my state have online inventory, and will even text message or email you when a truck you are interested in comes on the yard. Never know when that roof rack will come up. Of course, guys that did this sort of thing for a living can close their eyes and tell you where to feel for the hidden bolt, etc. Great advice on this forum.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:30 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome fellow PNW-er!

If you're looking to get off pavement check our NorthwestOverlandSociety.org. It's a great community of people that like to put their vehicles to work.