New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New to Rovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 04:38 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New to Rovers

Hello, I have just joined this forum after admiring Land Rovers from afar for years. I enjoy older models of classic 4x4 vehicles. I have owned several Toyota Land Cruisers, 2 FJ40's, 1 FJ62, 1 FJ80 and 2 FJ100's. They were all great vehicles and I love the reliability of Toyotas. I sold my last one to fund some other projects. I will soon be looking to get another older 4x4 to add some mods and drive off road. I don't do any serious off-roading (no rock crawling, etc.), but I do like to go off road and explore trails in the mountains. I do want a capable vehicle for the times I may need to cross the occasional sizable rocks and cross creeks, etc.
Anyway, I've always had an interest in Land Rovers (particularly the old Defender 110 and the Discovery). Currently, the market for Land Cruisers is ridiculously inflated. So I thought I might finally take a look at Land Rovers. The main reason I have not done so before now is due to all the negative press about them being so unreliable. I was always a bit confused by this because I am aware of the reputation Land Rovers have for events such as the Camel Trophy Rally (not sure if thats what its actually called...but you probably know what I'm referring to).
So I am just beginning my research on Land Rover Discoverys.......this is the one that most appeals to me. Probably most interested in Disco 2s.....1999 -2004. Seems strange to me that not all of these come with CDL. I would want the CDL. Anyway....just doing my research at this point. A little leery about all I've read about the unreliability of these, but am willing to see if what I can find on the forums like this one can shed some light on this.