New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Newbie in Kansas City

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 10:15 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie in Kansas City

Just getting started with my first Rover, it is a 2002 Discovery II SE with 124K. I have already gained some first class help around here by just lurking and searching. I now have a question to ask about myrst big project with my new love interest.
I really don't know much about her history so I have no idea what her past service records include. I do know that the coolant is green, not orange as I understand it should be and the oil filter is branded Mobil 1....those are the only real clues I have. Now to the question; I plan to do the 60,000 mile recommended service and am currently gathering the necessary consumables and such. If I don't know if this has ever been performed before, am I letting myself in for more trouble? The reason I ask is this, I once had a shade tree mechanic tell me that if the transmission fluid hasn't been changed at 60,000 then you are asking for transmission failure if you do it. This seems absurd to me but I just thought I would ask if this or anything else my be a problem at this advanced mileage. Thank you all for having this forum and thanks in advance for ANY words of wisdom you might have for me.
Hildy

Old 06-30-2015, 10:24 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

welcome;

If you have no history on the vehicle then doing the 60k isnt a bad idea, actually at 120k your ready again. See you already saved money by not doing the 60k.

the real issue with high mileage transmissions is you don't want to power flush them, simply changing the fluid you can and replacing the filter is fine.

good luck

Old 06-30-2015, 11:00 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with drowssap. The problem I have encountered with transmission oil changes, goes a lot to the fact of changing "Burnt" fluid. There was a reason it was burnt in the first place.
That said, there have been reports of a working unit with decent oil that failed shortly after a change. That is possibly the fact that by 100k miles, the detergents and additives I the original fluid are gone or diminished. The new fluid has much higher detergent levels, and cleans old residue fast, and can swamp out the filter, and lead to poor circulation/low pump pressure. When you pull your pan, take note of how much silt and debris is in the bottom of the pan. This will give you a good idea of the life that the transmission has seen. A little is normal. A lot is not. Cheers!

Old 06-30-2015, 12:10 PM
8th Gear

It sounds like it might be a good idea to change the ATF and filter, then do it again after a couple hundred miles. Good idea? Bad idea?

Old 06-30-2015, 04:13 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a bad idea. If there is very little debris in the pan to start with, and all appears to be shifting well, then I would not do the 2nd round change.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:50 PM
8th Gear

BTW, I have had several people tell me, or rather warn me, that Rovers can be a little quirky...I just tell them that, I ain't afraid, my last car was a Volvo convertible.