New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Nice forum! How's this thing work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 07:54 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice forum! How's this thing work?

Hello, all.
I have read this forum for a while,but have put off joining it(or getting a Range Rover) for years. But a week ago I took the plunge & got an '03 RR that seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. I found it a a local Mercedes dealership as a trade in. It'd been here in central Florida all its life, and has just under 56,000 mile under its tread. As for me, I just turned 44 and have admired the Range Rover for 10 years or so. But they've always been pricey, had mysterious problemsor leakedtoo muchoil. But this one (besides being the nice new '03 design) seemed to be priced relatively reasonable ( under $27,000) and was about the cleanest undercarraige I've ever seen ,especially on a Rover. It is a little bumped & bruised on it's surface, but not too bad for what it was. And it's the nice new 4.4L design, which I like even better than the P38. It's really nice machine.
But without even running a full tank of gas through her gullet, she already seems to be hacking up furballs & has shut down,[:'(] so it'll be going (under tow) to the dealership for a full body scan next week. So as the dealership seemed to insinuate,[:@] it could very well bethe beginning of a long, lucrative (for them, of course) and familiar relationship w/ their service department. But since I really enjoy working on my own vehicles, I hope to keep most of the future work at home, learn as much as I can, and contribute all I can to this forum.
I've learned the value of these forums, as I own an '03 Harley Road King (Yey, v-twinforum!!) and a '97 Oldsmobile Aurora (Just possibly as many legendary gremlins as the Land Rover family). These forums are infinitely valuable.
I look forward to learning more from the postings of Disco Mike & others with much experience & wisdom of the Rover's characteristics.
So Thanks for the Forum!! I'm glad I found it.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Nice forum! How's this thing work?

Welcome to the group, sorry to hear you are having a problem with your RR already.
Call me if you get a chance and lets talk more specifically about what it is doing and what could be done.
303-862-7680
Colorado between 7 am and 8 pm

Old 11-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Overlanding

Thanks, Mike. I really appreciate it. I'll give you a call afer I write down all the indications that it'll give me.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Overlanding

Mike-
Thanks for the help. It's taken care of. After I looked through the online shop manual & read up on the transfer case a little bit, I read that the x-fer case is put into a tow mode by inserting a 5 amp fuse into slot 37 of the fuse box (the one in the glove compartment). After I tightened-up the neg battery terminal that was left loose by whoever installed the battery, I still had the "3-amigos" that I've read of on this forum (thanks again to you guys for the Rover edumacation). But after considering that what I was seeing could at least partially be linked to transfer case problems as described in the "shop manual" I downloaded, I checked slot 37. Low & behold, there was a 5-amp fuse in slot 37. I removed the fuse & started the Rover. It still had the same indications until after breakfast/lunch when I started it again. Then the flashing hill climbing looking icon was gone, but the ABS & DSC lights were still on & it would engage in gear. I shut it off & started it again (with the same indicators) but hit the breaks a few times, put it in gear & rode around the block. As soon as I started down the road, the indicators went away, & it is driving fine now.
SO... I think it was a 2-fold problem
1) The dealership repair tech failed to tighten the battery cables, and
2) The dealership (or someone) failed to remove the slot 37 fuse after towing it to the dealership for the battery replacement.
So we're off!!! Hopefully to a long and uneventfulfuture of roving the range, with no real vehicle problems to follow.
I look forward to a long & educational corresponence on this forum, and thanks for all the help. I just hope I can repay the favor & hospitalitymany times over.
Mark