New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Noob

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 04:14 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob

Brand new to this forum and all the other forums/sites that I have joined in the last 3 months. I just acquired an 04 disco with 18" rims and Street tires. Just got back from the Mammoth Lakes area in CA and was doing some light wheeling there. Led me to believe that the street tires that I have on the beast are useless.
I am contemplating on whether or not to buy 16's and put BFG's on or keep the stock 18's and get the general grabber AT2's. It looks like both sets of tires will cost me roughly the same amount of money minus the cost of the rims. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Go 16, there are more tire options at cheaper prices and when you air down you will have more rubber. Welcome to the forum make sure to put your rig info in your signature. Also if you have not already swap or rebuild the drive shaft with one with greasable u joints

Old 06-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the family. I have the same vehicle as you and I was fortunate to find a used set of 16" steels from a RRC, so I went that route and put Mud Terrain (BFG) tires on them. I will keep my 18" for snow as the MT are not recommended for snow but i will have to judge for myself. Also keep in mind clearances if you go to a larger diameter, you may need a small lift. Keep your eyes open on CL.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:57 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
Go 16, there are more tire options at cheaper prices and when you air down you will have more rubber. Welcome to the forum make sure to put your rig info in your signature. Also if you have not already swap or rebuild the drive shaft with one with greasable u joints
I know I just read that in the thread for noobs. I think that the rig should show up in my sig now.
On a side note I'm thinking the same thing about the wheels, I think I'll just bite the bullet and go pick up the 16's (it's about 100 mile drive).

Old 06-03-2011, 06:13 PM
3rd Gear
Question

Originally Posted by thospb
Welcome to the family. I have the same vehicle as you and I was fortunate to find a used set of 16" steels from a RRC, so I went that route and put Mud Terrain (BFG) tires on them. I will keep my 18" for snow as the MT are not recommended for snow but i will have to judge for myself. Also keep in mind clearances if you go to a larger diameter, you may need a small lift. Keep your eyes open on CL.
How much does a lift cost/how easy is it to do on your own? As for my truck so far I've done some wheelin' on the street tires and although "the beast" performed I think that getting traction was tougher on the engine than it should have been. Mostly I use "the beast" for driving through snow. Either way I need to get rid of those damn street tires. A concern that I have if I do get a lift is whether or not it will fit in my garage. I have about 3.5 inches of clearance right now.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cost of a lift varies, you might find 2nd hand stuff. There is a video on youtube by Justin at Lucky8 showing how easy it is to install. The trucks are very simple to work on.