Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOOB Question :-)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 01:25 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOOB Question :-)

Kia Ora from the Shaky Isles of New Zealand

After many years of waiting have finally bought a 95 Disco Tdi, got it home and found the owners manual sitting in the glove box, normally most blokes don't even bother to RTFM until something breaks but I was a bit bored one night and thought I'd have a thumb through it. Never having even sat in a disco before I had a look at the instruments and stuff, now there is no mention of a boost gauge in the book but there's definately one in the vehicle just under the clock, it even works when the revs get over about 1500rpm. Have not been able to get much background info on the vehicle, it's got 200,000km (120,000miles) on the clock and also has a turbo timer (not standard ?) and an ITG performance air filter. It seems to run well and pulls like a schoolboy even in fifth.
Are there any faults/things to keep an eye on with this particular machine, at this stage it's just a weekend toy and will spend a lot of time on the beach.

Cheers
DDDD

Old 09-14-2006, 03:14 AM
Overlanding
Default RE: NOOB Question :-)

Hmmmm... since I cannot get a TDi Disco on my side of the pond (USA) , I can give you some simple pieces of advice, since I had a turbo powered vehicle before. One, change oil and filter often. Two, make sure the truck is up to operating temperature before pounding on it. Third, after a long highway drive or off-roading, let the truck idle for about 5 minutes before shut down, unless you have a turbo timer.

Cheers,
DJAC

Old 09-17-2006, 08:58 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: NOOB Question :-)

Thank's for the reply,
Strange you don't seem to get diesels in the US of A, they're the dogs danglies when it comes to fuel economy, about 30mpg for rural driving Luckily I live at the top of a hill so it gets a nice easy warm up and the timer runs on for a couple of minutes after it's switched off. Will plan to change the oil and filter every 3000 miles.

Cheers
DDDD