New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Rites of passage

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 11:39 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rites of passage

Well me and my dad just picked up a 2001 discovery II
It was beautiful a nice beautiful day , payed 2600 for it too

It needed some love but we expected that , so we are driving home doing about 65 because at 55 there was a terrible wobble , all tires were bald and two had nails , anyways 3/4 way there a huge cloud of white smoke bellows out and there is bits of crap all over the back windshield... We thought the worst... Temp skyrocketed

Blown head gasket ?... Nope , the coolant line to the temp guage completely blew off , it took us forever to get the clamp back on , we had to use our hands haha, we filled as much as we could with our water bottles n limped it to a gas station then replaced 1.5 gallons of coolant
Drank it like nothing

We then finally made it home

All in all I'm happy to say we made it and the truck runs beautiful

Old 12-18-2012, 12:24 AM
4wd High

Ah yes the panic drive! Every true gear head including me has made the maiden voyage home in their new ride wondering "whoah what the hell did I just buy!" "so that's why I got such a great deal" In my opinion most cars are actually very reliable, but most owners are NOT! European cars have a thing with cooling systems and electronics, American cars like to have bad suspensions and transmission problems, Japanese are perfect until one day the whole thing just gives up all at once, then you just recycle the whole car. All I know is at least the disco is relatively modern compared to the ancestors of 4wd trucks and even compared to rivals of the same year, easy to understand and pretty much renewable in most ways if something goes wrong, with the nice people on this forum and I can't see why I was so scared to buy one considering all the wonderful tech info. And to think I drove FIATS for years and years!

Last edited by 77_scorp; 12-18-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

There is no coolant line to the temp gauge. The "gauge" is electrically driven by the engine computer, and will stay at 50% until truck is way too hot. If you saw gauge above 50%, that is a dangerous area. It should not be driven in such a state. It is difficult to purge air from a leaky system. You may have a sound like water rushing thru pipes under the dash, that would be bubbles still in the system which need to be bled out.

Here is a plumbing chart of the truck. Be sure it is full, no gurgle sounds, and temp stays 50% or a little less. It is not like an old Ford. You'll want the whole factory shop and owner manuals, they are called the "RAVE".

Attached Thumbnails Rites of passage-pittsburgh-20120905-00034.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 coolant flow.pdf (724.2 KB, 58 views)
Old 12-18-2012, 09:10 PM
6th Gear

I'm sorry I meant the thermostat (part 16 on that diagram ) it's like right by the hood opening literally like up against the front end I wanna say , the temp is remaining steady and the truck runs great

So is it possible that there is air still in there ?

I haven't heard any gargling , Ive been listening to the truck all day with out radio or entertainment noises

Last edited by 2Much_DISCO; 12-18-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's some more pages from the RAVE, I would not describe the thermostat as being up against the front end. There are some thermal sensors that have to do with monitoring - see attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 rad monitor.pdf (1.32 MB, 58 views)
Old 12-19-2012, 10:29 PM
6th Gear

Oh I see , sorry about my lack of knowledge on these trucks , but I guess that's why I'm here , to learn lol

Thanks for the diagrams , My dad also just got the full online manuals and diagrams for the truck

I forget the name of the website but it has like every how to on just about every vehicle

I think it called ALL-DATA