New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

santa barbara checking in

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:43 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default santa barbara checking in

Hello all. The wife and I just acquired a 2000 Disco II. It was a one owner car, with every service record since new. And, it had the head gaskets done 15k ago.

Been Rover fans for awhile, now we have one!

Old 06-20-2013, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome. Be sure to check your front drive shaft, oem has no grease fittings on the double U-joints, they can split without warning and bash a hole in transmission. The RAVE is the factory set of manuals, for DIY or just knowing what the mechanic is faced with.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:59 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Good to hear from someone from my old home town.
What will you be using your Disco for?
Might want to compare your service records against my Major Service list posted on the top of the D2 section, you will probably find your truck needs to get current on it's services, especially the front drive shaft.
How mechanical are you?

Old 06-20-2013, 07:26 PM
4wd High

Mike,

Im in Goleta specifically. Today was magnificent. But pretty much everyday here is.

The disco will be pretty much be an around town car. Both the wife and I are 4wheel enthusiasts, but the dodge truck is gonna be the go-to for that. We will probably take the disco up around east camino, and maybe refugio back towards Santa Ynez, but nothing too crazy. I will add the cdl kit soon. I read your recommendations on kits; I will PM you soon re those.

My mechanical skills are pretty decent. Among various motorcycles and racecars, Ive built two frame-off Chevy Impalas. One a 64 SS 409, the other a 62 rag. Ive been doing paint and body as a side gig for about 15 years, and Im a pretty good fabricator. Im well versed on mig/tig, and also have a plasma cutter. Im helping a friend stretch a 56 Ford C-600 truck for a cool Burningman project.

Currently in my garage there is a 53 Buick Roadmaster undergoing a full resto, but that is for a client. It started as a 2 door coupe, but by grafting the windsheild frame and convertible belt line from a ratty rag top, I made a drop top out of it. Other than the welds, one would never know. There is very little use of fill, as I took the time to work the metal prior to priming it. Ive started using lead as opposed to polyester fill, but Ive not yet mastered it. More of a novelty really at this time...

I think I can probably handle most of the stuff on the disco, but Im sure there are specifics that only a tech like yourself would know. So I will download the RAVE and check it out. The only thing british Ive worked on was my Triumph TT-120. And that was all british standard!

Old 06-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Administrator

As mentioned by Buzz, you need to make sure the front drive shaft has 1 grease fitting on each of the 3 front u-joints.
Might want to check out my major service list posted at the top of the D2 section and do it all.
What color are your plug wires?
We should talk before you attempt to install your CDL shifter, is it from a D1 or D2?
Speaking of Chevys, I had a new 65 SS Impala 396 and a 70 Chevelle convertible with a 396, they don't make cars like that any more much less the Roadmaster.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:49 PM
4wd High

65's are becoming pretty collectable. Especially the 409, as it was the last run of the fabled W motor.

I have yet to purchase any cdl kit. I was browsing the Ashcroft site a moment ago, and thought they have a pretty nice setup. But yes, we should talk.

Ill search the site for the front driveshaft info. Ill probably get to it sometime this coming week. There are a few paint issues I want to deal with first....

Old 06-21-2013, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Here is my number, 303-856-3328, call me during the day sometime before you jump into this so I might point you in a direction.