New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Is this a scam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 06:27 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a scam?

I recently joined this forum and I am trying to sell my 1998 discovery. I posted an ad in the vehicles for sale section and I recieved a strange email. I am going to post it to see if anyone can tell me if this is real??

Hello Sir/Ma,

I have seen the price and i will like you to send me the present pics and condiction of this {1998 Land Rover Discovery I LE }the price is ok by me then i will issue a cashiers check to you.mean whlie i will also include $8,600 on the payment so you should expect a cashiers check of $12,000. the excess is for my shipper that will be coming for pick up.the funds will be used for the shipping of it.i'll imploy you to wire the balance via western union money transfer to my shipper as soon as you RECEIVE the Payment.My SHIPPER will come for pick up on a specicified date that will be convenient for you.i hope i can count on you for my balance I ALSO WANT THIS TO BASE ON TRUST CAN I TRUST YOU?... Dont hesitate to call xxxxxxxxxxxx.
Pls i need ur contact info,such as name in full,adress,ur city ur state ur zipcode ur phone#both cell and home.pls email me asap with all details. Regards.

Old 08-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Is this a scam?

I honestly ccant understand a word he said but I wouldnt trust him regardles, it shouldnt be too hard to sell your ride and this guy looks shady. Give hima call.

Old 08-18-2005, 08:06 PM
Administrator
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

it sounds dumb...why wouldnt he just send the money to the shipper himself?

i wouldnt put much creedance i it

Old 08-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Rock Crawling

It is a common scam in the UK, basically, the money they send you takes time to bounce, but int he mean time you have paid a shipper to send your landie, the shipper of course is the scammer. So they not only get your landie for free you have also paid them to take it.. very clever... They also ask for your full details so if you manage to stop it happening they come around and steal your landie anyway.

If you have been given the shippers name already, sending it to the port authority, so they can investigate the company.. Not sure where you could forward the e-mail to, here we are asked to forward the e-mail to the local fraud squard, so they can try and flush these people out and arrest them..

Old 08-18-2005, 11:53 PM
Winching

100% SCAM

Don't even think about it.

Old 08-19-2005, 05:26 PM
4wd Low

if you have already sold that landie to him then I have some beachfront property in Arizona I would like to sell you. Let me know..

Old 08-19-2005, 06:54 PM
4wd Low

Thanks everyone for your help. I was 98 percent sure it was a scam. Is there a lot of stuff like that going on here?

Old 08-20-2005, 10:14 AM
Rock Crawling

don't, don't don't. scam, scam, scam. It is similar to an identifaction scam I have seen in other areas. It is also a scam to "steal" your vehicle. It is also a scam to set you up for a large shipping bill for the inspection fee. The old rules still apply. If it sound to good to be true, then it probably is. hope it helps. duboff

Old 08-22-2005, 03:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually that scam right there they are not even after you car, they want you to cash a bad check for them and send them the remaining cash for the sale. usally like 3-4 thousand dollars. then you get hosed and they make a few grand. These scams have been going around for a long time, usally from somewhere in Nigeria or Aisa. I had one where i had a long lost uncle and i needed to collect my share from his death, but i had to cash out the check and send a few grand back to the people who were doing all the work for me and my long lost uncle. Most of these people can't even spell, also they usally have no idea about the car/truck for sale. My friend got this scam after posting up his truck for sale on a for sale site, so he thought he would see if how much they would pay a for a piece of crap broke down old truck, he told them everything that was wrong with it and put a price of 22k on it, the scam people were the only ones who e-mailed him, and they wanted it.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:33 AM
Drifting

It's a scam I just went through in Germany. The guy that works for me wanted to sell is LRD1 and put an ad in the military paper here in Europe. He was contacted the same way and a check of $10k USD was mailed to him. After the 10 day waiting period, He sent 3K USD to the "shipper" and then found out the check was drawn on a closed account in Florida. The bank does not accept any responsibility even though they posted the 10K into his checking account and took it back a couple of days later. They even let him draw the 3K out. In some cases, the seller ships the vehicle and is out the vehicle and cash. If you decide to play along with him, be sure to wait 21 days to see if the check clears vice the 10 days the bank normally waits. It's a huge pain both legally and emotionally. When my guy got burned for his 3K, he decided to sell me the LRD1 at a decent price. He got the short end of the deal but I got a nice LRD1.

Joe Beierly
96 Discovery 1
Stuttgart, Germany