New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Thinking to buy 2000 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 05:25 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking to buy 2000 Discovery

hi
Thinking to buy 2000 Discovery with 200k miles for under $2000

should i go for it or is it to dangerous with such miles

the owner could not tell me much about maintanances

do this cars have timing belt need to be replaced or is it a chain?

what should i look for?

it started nice and drove nicely with no extra noises

i would appreciate if u let me know what u think

Thanks

Old 12-17-2017, 05:53 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

OMG, sorry to say but $500 would be way too much to pay for a 2000 DII with these miles. RUN!

Please keep in mind that ANY LAND ROVER at this price point will cost you crazy money just doing the catch-up maintenance. And forget it if you have to do something major. A $2000 truck will just EAT MONEY!

And no timing belt, these v8s have a timing chain. There are many DII's to choose from...Good Luck with your search.

Last edited by OverRover; 12-17-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OverRover
OMG, sorry to say but $500 would be way too much to pay for a 2000 DII with these miles. RUN!

Please keep in mind that ANY LAND ROVER at this price point will cost you crazy money just doing the catch-up maintenance. And forget it if you have to do something major. A $2000 truck will just EAT MONEY!
I have to totally disagree. An 18 year old truck that has been driven less than 12k miles a year is less than you would find on most vehicles that age. But you would figure that the maintenance has been kept up with to be able to acquire that mileage. You could also say that a 100 or 120k mile vehicle has been neglected because the miles are so low. That low mile vehicle may have never had the head gaskets replaced and be riding on original suspension. The 200k mile vehicle may have had the head gaskets replaced and be riding on updated suspension. The current owner may not have records for all this but it can often be spotted by a knowledgeable inspector and can sometimes be recorded on vehicle history reports. The key is to have a through inspection by a competent source familiar with Land Rovers.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Yeah, most 2000 Discovery's that are running correctly, not leaking any type of fluid profusely, not ticking and go down the road without you fearing for your life...are selling for 2K/3K. 500.00 bucks buys you a bad trans/engine model. Now, if the interior/exterior are trash and it has a bad motor/trans...then it's worth a couple hundred in scrap or "maybe" parts.

Brian.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,666 Posts

2K & 200K = absolutely nothing wrong with that if it's been maintained.

Any LR that people boast with having under 100K = Red Flag and I honestly wouldn't even look at it. First they'll want WAY to much, and second a 87-04 LR that has less than 100K on it is one of those LR's that probably wasn't very good off the assembly line, it was plagued with issues that kept it at a local LR Dealer or local mechanic, so it's just sat, slowly rotting from the UV Rays, the weather, and mother nature. Then someone comes along buys it, gets it running somewhat, and sells it to make a profit.

Or you have a LR with 100-300K on it, that's been maintained properly, and all the LR quirks and issues have been addressed and the owner just gets to enjoy it and obviously drive it.

My Kalahari has 230K and counting and it is flawless inside and out minus some fading on the roof paint thanks to the TX sun. Every single OEM electric item works, no 3 Amigo's, HDC, Diff Lock (added 04 Linkage & SLABS Unit), and I paid 4500.00 for it 2.5 years ago. I have absolutely no problem paying good money for a perfect LR D2. I've only bought 1 D2 that was flawless for less than 2K, and that was because I am very good friends with a LR Shop & got the hook up on a D2 a woman no longer wanted due to buying a new VW.

My advice is to you Hariman is if it runs & drives nice, and after the test drive the engine is nice and quiet without ticking, and the interior/exterior is clean with minimal wear & tear I'd grab it. If you truly plan on getting into LR's this Forum is great for a head start on what to do after buying it, from replacing the front drive shaft (inspect yours to see if it's been replaced with grease fittings already), check if it has a 180F thermostat, change the fluids, check the brake pads, tires, and if it has a CEL on, or the 3 amigos, I suggest a good OBDII Code Scanner like the Icarsoft LR2 so you can quickly and easily diagnose the fault codes yourself.

A $2000 truck will just EAT MONEY!
Totally disagree with that statement 100%. Old Faithful (my 99 D2 SE7 with 106K) was 1500.00 and I've owned it nearly 2 years. I've installed the 3 following parts since I bought it. #1 Alternator (reason lady sold it) #2 Dead Battery (due to alternator), and just 2 weeks ago I slapped in a 10.00 Hyundai Purge Control Valve. Of coarse I have done oil changes, and brake pads, but that is normal maintenance items.

I have only owned 2 brand new off the showroom floor vehicles. 01 Nissan Xterra (lost 10K on it when I sold it due to it being a total LEMON), 05 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (spent more money keeping that thing on the road than any LR I've ever owned & I've owned 20 LR's so far) Both of those new vehicles were money pits. After that I learned to let someone else take the hit on loosing $$$$ on a new vehicle due to depreciation. I've now always bought used 4x4's that were old enough to be affordable, have any issues addressed, and sure I had to do small things to get them up to my standards, but I've done nothing but save $$$$ and have fun. Example my 06 LR3 HSE was 10.9K, I sold my Hummer H3 Alpha for 16.1K, bought the LR3, and I had to replace an alternator, a battery, do a complete brake job, replace a brake switch, and I even bought the icarsoft LR2 scanner to read the Can Bus LR3 modules. I had plenty of $$$$ left over and it worked out perfectly because I was then able to put that $$$$ into bringing my second little jewel of a daughter into this world (reason my wife and I needed a 3rd row vehicle vs the H3).

There are plenty of 2K LR's out there which aren't money pits. Good luck and welcome to LRF's

Last edited by Best4x4; 12-23-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:47 PM
6th Gear

thank u all
i am still thinking
i hear stories about rust
is it usually expensive to weld staff for Discovery?
also how much it can cost to do the timing belt?

i found another one also 200k miles no timing belt done has some rust on rear, one owner looks clean

i mostly drive to work 5 miles and mostly be using as my winter car

Old 12-27-2017, 08:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Timing belt? There is no timing belt. And stories about rust: depending on where you live; that can very an issue with any vehicle.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:13 PM
6th Gear

i found one 200k miles 2004 HSE
now this one looks real nice just has some rust as well on the rear underneath

also how safe are Discovery is there no side airbags and no traction controls?

Old 12-27-2017, 03:25 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Only 2 front airbags (steering wheel and passenger dash)
Yes, traction control, and works very well offroad.

The following users liked this post:
hariman (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 03:29 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

If you are asking how much for a timing belt put on, which is actually a chain, that says that you don't work on your vehicles.
That is fine too. But, Discoverys need or will need lots of parts. So unless you have deep pockets to pay for what breaks, I would consider a different vehicle.
And I say that respectfully.

Quick Reply: Thinking to buy 2000 Discovery