New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Wanted a Discovery since high school - Just bought an LR4

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 03:16 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanted a Discovery since high school - Just bought an LR4

Hello all,

I have been browsing this forum for a few weeks, ever since I finally resolved to buy a Discovery. I wanted one since high school, but I avoided the 2 because of its somewhat daunting reliability record and just finally decided to buy. I picked up a used '12 LR4 last weekend. What a beauty!

The PO had significant maintenance records that included everything that I have seen recommended on this forum (suspension air system, water pump, fuel pump, brakes). The vehicle generally feels well put together and well maintained.

Despite the great service history, wouldn't you know that I ran across two issues on the way home?

It was raining fairly heavily and the rear wiper decided to stop wiping. The fronts were on Auto and they were doing their thing. The rears were working at the beginning of the drive but halfway home it gave up. Looking around the forum indicates the issue could be as simple as the spline nut needing tightening.

The other issue is a moderate steering wheel vibration on deceleration from about 70 to 55. It is smooth otherwise. The brake rotors were just replaced and alignment and balanced were done. The dealer and alignment shop couldn't see any more issues. I am not 100% sure what to do next on this one, but may end up throwing tie rods at it. I saw a couple threads that indicated that even tie rods that seem fine may be an issue.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,490 Likes on 1,217 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the LR4.

On the LR3 worn control arm bushings along with the obvious clunk can sometimes cause a vibration.

The following users liked this post:
Eric Kjeldergaard (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 09:08 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your LCA bushings idea is probably dead on. I have noticed an occasional clunk on bumps as well as the shake braking from highway speeds. It looks like sa ful arm replacement is the usual solution though the poly bushings are popular. Does anyone get these in the replacement arms before installing?

Old 02-20-2018, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,490 Likes on 1,217 Posts

I went with the stock replacement arms this time. Lucky 8 offers a set up with the poly bushes instead of the oem bushes.

They are not bad to do aside from the usually seized up bolts in the bushings. Just get a lot of quality saw blades, go slow and it will be fine. Also be sure to pop the cv loose from the hub before you start unbolting the rest.

An alignment should be planned shortly afterwards.