New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Wife Wants Defender

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 10:35 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife Wants Defender

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. My wife and I went SUV shopping this weekend. We've pretty much narrowed it down to a Yukon or Defender. We have an RV trailer so we want something that can tow it, and we also have baby #2 on the way (last baby). We want something that has an available 3rd row so we can get friends & the kids to wherever we're going. I've been a GMC guy all my life (first car was a 94 2 door Yukon) but we both really like the Defender. I'm trying to justify the price tag. So if you all would be so kind help me justify it? We both like to drive vehicles for a long time. I'm currently on a 2014 Sierra with 100k of miles that I bought new. Her biggest push for the Defender is the size of the vehicle. It's got the 3rd row without getting up into the "boat" category. But you lose the automatic 3rd row and you gain a $8k price tag up front not to mention the maintenance costs of the vehicle are higher. Don't get me wrong I really like the Defender. I'm just trying to justify that spend. What do you all love about your vehicles that I'm missing? Anyone towing a bumper pull with their Defender? Can the 6 cylinder really handle that much weight? Trailer is about 6k GTW. Appreciate any feedback.

Old 07-19-2021, 09:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

So go to your local dealer and order a Defender for her!!

Seriously, for towing you may want to look into the tongue weight of your trailer because I have read that Land Rover does NOT recommend load balancing hitches. IIRC, max tongue weight is under 800 lbs, even though total Is 8200 lbs.

Last edited by FLwolverine; 07-20-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:21 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Personally, for traveling with a family or towing...l'd stick with an American brand. Parts, dealerships, etc...are more readily available. Plus, l don't care what anyone says...you can't beat an American made V8...no way, no how...for towing.

Good luck.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

You are looking at the Defender because the styling is different/cool/eye catching. And it is. However, you said that you "both like to drive vehicles for a long time." With that being said, I would stick to a Yukon or an Expedition (Ford I know). The new Defender is not something I would depend on lasting a long time and the other two mentioned will be much easier to maintain and get parts for. The Expedition and the Yukon are both plenty big to fill your size needs. They are both very comfortable on road trips.

But, if you want to stand out and live a little, get the Defender!