Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

2007 F150 vs 1996 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 F150 vs 1996 Discovery

So my dad is your stereotypical country redneck figure, he had our house built specfically around his bass boat so it would fit in the garage....

Well he drives a 2007 Ford F150 STX and constantly goes on how my '96 Disco is a british POS blah blah...ford is better..i can out pull you, go more places etc....

he keeps going on about it and if was like If your Land Rover is better than my truck prove it.

So how would my disco fare against the f150?

he has the 4.6 v8 4x4 auto, highway tires. (off road he drives the more power the more speed the more likely i will make it)

i have the 4.0 auto etc.. i also have highway tires ( i drive planned, carefully, and with proper off road technique)

will i be able to beat him off road
and then he also wants to drop chain (tug of war invovling 2 trucks and a big chain),

Old 10-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Not a fair contest. I have an F250 to fetch parts for the Disco and haul wood, trash, etc. Never sell a pickup that is paid for. Two different animals, built for different tasks. Just happen to have four tires and 4WD.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:52 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by bradical
So my dad is your stereotypical country redneck figure, he had our house built specfically around his bass boat so it would fit in the garage....

Well he drives a 2007 Ford F150 STX and constantly goes on how my '96 Disco is a british POS blah blah...ford is better..i can out pull you, go more places etc....

he keeps going on about it and if was like If your Land Rover is better than my truck prove it.

So how would my disco fare against the f150?

he has the 4.6 v8 4x4 auto, highway tires. (off road he drives the more power the more speed the more likely i will make it)

i have the 4.0 auto etc.. i also have highway tires ( i drive planned, carefully, and with proper off road technique)

will i be able to beat him off road
and then he also wants to drop chain (tug of war invovling 2 trucks and a big chain),
Remind him that your 96 only has 182 horsepower with 233 torque. Not generally built for towing large loads or hauling heavy equitment over long distances. Secondly your Discovery is full time all wheel drive. If you are going to challenge him in any event - start with something the Discovery can excel at! He's obviously one of those type who rely solely on sheer strength and size to win the days challenge. So use his strength torque and size against him. Start by getting decent off road tires installed. Check your suspension system and make sure your steering damper is in good shape. Definitely make sure your differential high low shifter is fully functional - that alone should prove useful. Then watch a **** load of youtube videos (Land Rover DIscovery offroad, LrD vs ford etc) study the videos and find a good off-road trail in your area that has rivers, extremely steep hills to climb and boulders to ride over. If he has aftermarket suspension upgrades installed then you'd do well to even the match by doing the same with your Disco. Get a winch, suspension lift with premium shocks and coil springs etc. - Does his ford have coil spring or leaf spring suspension? If he has leaf springs then you have another advantage!

Old 10-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Mudding

the only mods he has is a 2inch leveling kit in the front and a bull bar. and front are coils and rear are leaf.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:37 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ask him if he feels intimidated by your LR, and if that is the reason for belittling it?

Old 10-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

He's jealous.
Whatever he says just nod and say "yup", and leave it at that. (that will drive him nuts)
Tug of war he will win, he has more power, off road you will win, you are smaller and more nibble.
In a mud bog, he will win, more power and speed, but remember, offroading is not about slinging mud, it is about driving slow and responsibly through the woods.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:08 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
He's jealous.
In a mud bog, he will win, more power and speed, but remember, offroading is not about slinging mud, it is about driving slow and responsibly through the woods.
And while eating a donut with beverage of choice(non-alcoholic, of course) in the process!

Old 10-05-2011, 12:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sort of like Apples and Oranges if you ask me. Both have their advantages (though in the end one still has that awful blue oval on the grille). Power wise the F-150 are turds in my opinion, though they will outperform the Discovery, but then again they are built for different purposes. Off road wise you should no problem going more places and going through things the F series cant. The suspension on the F-150 is a joke and they are horrible off road simply due to size and design. Big doesnt exactly mean better off road. It may have more ground clearance but it wont fit anywhere and the length of the truck makes it extremely difficult to navigate anything but a wide open field. Oh yea did I mention it's still a Ford Towing is a fail by both IMO. The 07 F-250 Super Duty I used to tow with was embarrassing and the Disco simply isnt built to tow much. No matter the outcome I still give the green oval the vote over the blue one, I've worked on to many Fords to ever give one credit.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:12 AM
Rock Crawling

My 93 F150 is twice the truck the new ones are and I don't even trust it to get me across town to work.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:14 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Ask him if he feels intimidated by your LR, and if that is the reason for belittling it?

Haha well put Chris Bob
Its a common stereotype for guys with pick-up trucks. They often feel the need to challenge others in order to prove their masculinity. Just go with it - hes definitely intimidated.