Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Anyone know of a good motorcycle trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 04:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Anyone know of a good motorcycle trailer?

I have two motorcycles, a Suzuki DR200s and a Yamaha TTR230. I'd like to take them to the trails on the weekends. The problem is that the Yamaha isn't street legal, so I can't just ride them there (DR200 has a license plate).

I have been using a hitch carrier on my D2. It works fine, but I can only put 1 bike on it and it's a pain to roll a nearly 300lb bike 2 feet off the ground onto the disco.

So does anyone know of a good motorcycle trailer that won't break the bank? Could I use a utility trailer to tow them? I'd like to be able to tow at least 3 bikes just in case I buy another in the future.

Thanks.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by DiscoCam
I have two motorcycles, a Suzuki DR200s and a Yamaha TTR230. I'd like to take them to the trails on the weekends. The problem is that the Yamaha isn't street legal, so I can't just ride them there (DR200 has a license plate).

I have been using a hitch carrier on my D2. It works fine, but I can only put 1 bike on it and it's a pain to roll a nearly 300lb bike 2 feet off the ground onto the disco.

So does anyone know of a good motorcycle trailer that won't break the bank? Could I use a utility trailer to tow them? I'd like to be able to tow at least 3 bikes just in case I buy another in the future.

Thanks.
I ended up buying a Lowe's 5x8 utility trailer. l customized it a little so it can hold both bikes easily. If anyone is curious, I can post pictures.
Total cost was about $750 so I think it was quite reasonable for a brand new trailer.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:37 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoCam
I ended up buying a Lowe's 5x8 utility trailer. l customized it a little so it can hold both bikes easily. If anyone is curious, I can post pictures.
Total cost was about $750 so I think it was quite reasonable for a brand new trailer.
It's a good compromise DiscoCam, motorbike trailers are just as expensive and useless for anything else except transporting bikes. I have found that motorbike trailers when loaded tend to be top heavy, high CoG, and prone to overturning on rough offroad or fast bends. At least the utility trailer can be used for other purposes.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
It's a good compromise DiscoCam, motorbike trailers are just as expensive and useless for anything else except transporting bikes. I have found that motorbike trailers when loaded tend to be top heavy, high CoG, and prone to overturning on rough offroad or fast bends. At least the utility trailer can be used for other purposes.
Yeah I'm happy with my purchase for the reasons you stated. I never need to rent an overpriced U-HAUL again!! Or any other trailer for that matter.