Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

AutoPi- OBD car monitoring and more!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 09:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Default AutoPi- OBD car monitoring and more!

Not sure what section this would go in since it's not yet a build thread but more of an advertisement...

However, a new company on Kickstarter (AutoPi.io) has created an OBD output device via Raspberry Pi (If you don't know about Pi, I'll post summary at end of post). Because it's based on Pi, it will do much more than just OBD readings. 3G/4G internet, navigation, WiFi hotspot, vehicle controls, vehicle monitoring, bluetooth, radio/stereo, and more. The first three are standard, but the others can be added because of the Pi system.

I know a lot of people already have OBD monitoring. I bring this up because of the availability to do SO much more. Plus, it can be used in any vehicle with an OBD port. I'll be making something for my wife's Honda after I finish the rover.

There are five days left to get in on the Kickstarter initiative. After that, normal ordering wont be open until summer 2018 and prices will be higher. Order now and receive either March or May delivery. I have March delivery and will start my elaborate build immediately.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...7-395406723b71

What is RaspberryPi: Easiest way to describe rPi is a miniature computer. It draws the same amount of power as charging a cellphone but can control so much more. The AutoPi will be plug-n-play, but Pi itself is not. The coding is based on Python and some linux and C++. It can be setup to do just about everything from home media center with voice control to robotics and engineering. Sky really is the limit.

What's my plan: I've been studying the coding side for a while now to create a fully electronic brain center for my D1 (think Tesla). I already have a Pi3 that I've been working with. But I also purchased a full AutoPi and a DIY kit (hat extension only). My end game is this:
Digital instrument cluster with navigation center
10" touch screen media center with BT and cameras (reverse w/ proximity and side views)

Electronically controlled climate control, transmission and t-case shifter, engine start, and reconstructed body controls (windows, locks, etc)

This rover is my project truck so I'm excited to be doing this. If anyone buys in to the AutoPi and wants help then I'll create a build thread. Otherwise I'll just update when done. My rover will look old on the outside, new on the inside, and be agile underneath.

Any questions, just ask.

Attached Thumbnails AutoPi- OBD car monitoring and more!-raspberry_pi_b_2_0_0.jpg   AutoPi- OBD car monitoring and more!-pi3-breakout-feb-29-2016.png   AutoPi- OBD car monitoring and more!-dongle_frontpage.jpg   AutoPi- OBD car monitoring and more!-best-kodi-addons-2017.jpg  
Old 09-26-2017, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I have to admit I'm curious how this works out.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

I didn’t want to be the only one but I would like to know also.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Nothing wrong with being the only one. Lol. I'll keep y'all updated.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRovin'
Nothing wrong with being the only one. Lol. I'll keep y'all updated.
Please do, I'm fascinated by all new innovations whether LR or not.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:32 PM
Rock Crawling

Brief update since I still haven't posted my build thread. The kickstarter campaign finished, so now I'm waiting on my product in March. I have started planning and designing the media and information center. See pictures.
I'm thinking a 10 inch screen at dash center to control media center.
7 inch center screen with two 4 inch screens on each side in place of instrument cluster. The 7 inch screen will display digital gauges while the small screens will be digital side mirrors via camera feed.

What I haven't decided is where to control: navigation- have it display in cluster center with gauges around it or on media center screen with possible split screen shared with audio
Digital rear view- between side mirror screens all the time, on media screen only in reverse, or small screen in place of rear view mirror (least wanted)
Car diagnostics- either use them as the instrument cluster display or on the bigger media center screen as a background app.

Still have 5 months till I get the product but will hopefully have it fully planned before then so I van just install it, tweak it, and be done. I project the digital side mirrors to be done within the next 30 days.

Attached Thumbnails AutoPi- OBD car monitoring and more!-20171012_173830.jpg   AutoPi- OBD car monitoring and more!-20171012_172728.jpg  
Old 04-22-2020, 03:23 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi RedRovin'. Did you get anywhere with this? I've just picked myself up a Disco 3. It's a base model and the previous owner had mounted a sat nav where the high model screen should be. I;m thinking a AutoPi and screen would be perfect! I see they are just about to release their 3rd iteration.