Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Climate change, global warming and pollution.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 06:24 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Climate change, global warming and pollution.

It is my opinion that global warming, climate change and pollution does exist, BUT, the prime contributors to this are not domestic vehicles. There are a plethora of factors involved and domestic vehicles contribute a tiny amount to this phenomena but are being penalised by disproportionate taxation and other measures to appease governments and make a 'point'.

Who actually believes the world's governments and their claims?

Old 10-24-2017, 06:42 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

I don't know of any country or any informed scientist who holds the belief that domestic vehicles are the prime contributors of greenhouse gases, nor do I think a variety of industry leaders in energy production (look at coal for one) would say that owners of automobiles are carrying the brunt of the cost in the form of disproportionate taxes in an effort to reduce greenhouse gases.

The EPA in the USA says that "transportation" accounts for 27% of all greenhouse emissions. "Transportation" includes a lot more than just the cars parked in your garage.

The EU states that 12% of all greenhouse emissions can be attributed to the automobile. That's a far cry from the "tiny amount" you mentioned above but it is also no where near the prime contributor.

So, with all due respect, I think your opinion is really based more on the fact that you "feel" these environmental taxes on your automobile more than you "feel" them in other areas of your life. Believe me, the automotive industry is not the only one being dragged, kicking and screaming, into a more environmentally responsible 21st century.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

BUT, the prime contributors to this are not domestic vehicles.
In the US it's the LRs and other imports...

Old 10-24-2017, 04:05 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
In the US it's the LRs and other imports...
Those effin' Smart cars!

Old 10-24-2017, 09:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Heads up....My mayor just signed an agreement that by 2030 all gas vehicles in Seattle will be banned. I believe the mayor in LA just did the same.

Curious how the deep water port in Seattle is going to operate or how the public trains will operate

Old 10-24-2017, 11:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
Heads up....My mayor just signed an agreement that by 2030 all gas vehicles in Seattle will be banned. I believe the mayor in LA just did the same.

Curious how the deep water port in Seattle is going to operate or how the public trains will operate

thats awesome. Sounds like you've got a really smart mayor.

So since the average roadway has a 20 year life expectancy and the ban is 12 years out, where will they be getting the 40% missing funds from fuel sales tax to fund planned infrastructure projects? Maybe the warlords running the Congo cobalt mines will foot the bill.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by robertf
thats awesome. Sounds like you've got a really smart mayor.

So since the average roadway has a 20 year life expectancy and the ban is 12 years out, where will they be getting the 40% missing funds from fuel sales tax to fund planned infrastructure projects? Maybe the warlords running the Congo cobalt mines will foot the bill.
Washington state is moving away from gas tax completely and instead will charge you a per mile toll via gps

Old 10-25-2017, 05:32 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

It would seem like you have your own problems and loons in the US. One has to bear in mind, all of these people are either rich at the expense of the taxpayer or indoctrinated with a head full of garbage. Now take London, England, or don't if you are normal, they are introducing an LEZ (low emissions zone) in addition to the Congestion Charge Zone so to access London in the near future in an older pre 2003 vehicle will cost you about £25 every day, scandalous IMHO. It's another insidious underhanded way to raise tax revenues IMO.

I just had another thought on this subject. How can charging people money save the planet or reduce emissions. To me it's an easy tax grab.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 11-11-2017 at 09:50 PM.