Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Discovery 2 rear diff lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 04:45 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Discovery 2 rear diff lock

Have a few questions about adding a diff lock on a discovery 2 td5 (with center diff, lock of course) .

First of all, do i need to upgrade the rear shafts to heavy duty ones? I hear that it would be recommended to upgrade those to the hd ones by Ashcroft?

Second, im leaning towards an electric diff lock not one powered by a compressor... I think it would be more reliable in the long run?

Thanks
Mark

Old 02-04-2019, 03:59 AM
Mudding

so to answer my own question... number 2, i have seen some reviews and the electric diff locker works in a different way that an air locker and requires a few turns to engage, this means that if you are going up and you need to back off a little, it will disengage for a little while. basically, if you have to do it, it is much better to get an airlocker.

I am still curious if anyone has experience with diff lockers and if one would need hd shafts (and diff pegging maybe?)

thanks
Mark

Old 02-04-2019, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

You don't need hd shafts but they are generally recommended.

​​​​​Mechanical, air and electric all have their issues. How far you need to take it i.e. pegging the diff all depends on intended usage

Old 02-04-2019, 08:47 AM
Mudding

Thanks for your reply. I do not usually take it too far, and generally look for the easiest way there but i am also a huge fan of getting home with my disco in one piece still looking what is achievable without the locker though, so although in the pipel8ne, not sure when

Old 02-04-2019, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

A Disco I with good tires, cdl and functioning traction control will take you a long way

Old 02-04-2019, 09:56 AM
Mudding

i agree, it is a capable machine. Mine has all that with functioning TC, 31" all terrain tyres, 2" lift, center diff and 1.4 transfer case from a defender but sometimes you need to use too much momentum to climb a hill and you end up hitting that trailing rear. A rear diff locker would allow me to take things much slower

Old 02-05-2019, 08:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

What about a Detroit locker? It engages automatically, mechanically. No air or electrical to fool with.

Like Army said axles aren't strictly necessary. If it we're me i'd put the axle money towards another front locker. It really all depends on how rough you are on it. I've seen guys with lockers, ls engines, and 4.10 gears be fine on stock axles. I've also seen guys with stock rigs turn driveshafts into pretzels. Both discoverys, mind. I've not often seen broken axles, though.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:24 AM
Mudding

surely, it is an interesting option. And the Detroit lockers (truetrac?) have a very good reputation

Old 02-05-2019, 12:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

DL and TT are different animals with the DL being more heavy-duty but can cause handling issues when cornering if you're not careful. TT is fine for everyday driving and wheeling.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:45 PM
Mudding

Well i do some wheeling and my main objective of installing lockers is not to make more extreme stuff, but to be able to get out of trouble more slowly, in order to cause as little damage as possible. But at the end of the day my d2 is also my everyday car and my family carrier. So i guess if i had to go for a detroit unit the TT would be the one for me...

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 rear diff lock