Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Discovery II - Misfire hard to diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:02 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery II - Misfire hard to diagnose

Hello folks,
I'm new to this forum, and I was hoping I can get some insight from rest of you LR folks regarding my problem.

About 8 months ago I bought a 2002 Land Rover Discovery II with 86k miles and "apparently" blown head gasket. I decide to do the work myself as I have done the same kind of work on my Audi in the past.

So, I replaced the head gaskets, water pump, I purchased a new set of rebuilt heads on ebay, put in new spark plugs ( Bosch) Ignition Wires ( Sti), all new bolts ( manifold + heads) and when i put the engine back together, and started it up, the check engine light started flashing and I noticed right away that the engine was idling rough. I plugged in the OBD scanner which showed several codes among them Cylinder 7 misfire, and at some point the engine even overheated.

I tried everything in my power to try to figure out why is this happening, but I couldn't come up with any solid answers. The oil in the engine looks clean without coolant present in it. The other thing I noticed is that when I open the valve cover Oil cap, there seems to be some pressure build up in the valve cover.

I've heard stories about dropped sleeves and I was wondering if maybe that's the problem with my engine as well. I'm at the point where I put a lot of time and money into this car, and I just don't want to keep investing money in it if the engine block is bad.

I would greatly appreciate any additional insight into the matter.

Regards,

SV

Old 09-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

First wrong section, scroll down past off tripod a but to the dII section.

Second repeating what's been said 1000 times. If your gauge says you over heated, you were VERY HOT think 230-240maybe even 250. The mechanical gauge sucks.

Check your spark plug and see if it looks different in cylinder 7vs 5