Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

freelander vs discovery

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:25 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default freelander vs discovery

hello

i am from Romania and i have a question. A good Freelander from 2006 is arround 7.000 EUR and a Discovery from 2004 is arround 8.500 EUR.

The interesting part is that i love both vehicles but i never had one so old.

witch one do you think is more reliable ? with witch one do you think you can make another 100 K in km without major breakdowns.

the option is both diesel engines and the price difference as you can see is not an important issue.

thank you for the advice

Old 04-15-2014, 03:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reluctantly I say that it depends on what your using it for. Any Disco 1 or 2 is in every way better than any freelander. (IMO) But as far as reliability goes? Well, you are asking about Land Rover products, none of which top the charts for reliability but really, buy the Disco. You'll love it. (provided you don't mind doing some work to it)

Old 04-15-2014, 05:20 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

IMO there is no comparison, the Disco is a real 4x4 be it a D1, D2, D3 or D4 whereas, IMO, the Freelander even today is a toy townies apology for a 4x4. I would far prefer an older Disco than a newer Freelander. All cars/vehicles have some problems and issues, especially used vehicles, and the LR's have their fair share particularly the V8 petrol engines. The more complex the vehicle the more problems you have and 4x4's unless used as such consume energy, fuel and are generally not used to their true potential. If you want no home maintenance work, economy and reliability and need a family touring 4x4 buy a Skoda Yeti or an Octavia 4x4. I'm a diesel person and to my mind there isn't another option. Personally if I were forced to get rid of the RRS, D2 or Pajero for a smaller 4x4 I would get a Yeti PS140 TDi auto or an Octavia Estate PS140 TDi auto as they are actually designed by VW and carry many of the same parts but retail a lot cheaper.

If your budget runs to it there is always the Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, Porche Cayenne, BMW X3 or X5, Mercedes 4x4, Audi Quattro or even the Volvo 4x4. They are all OK but not very good offroad performers apart from the RR and RRS and when they all go wrong the garage bills are huge. Then there is all the second string 4x4's, Mitsubishi Pajero/Shogun (very good), Nissan X-Trail also good etc, etc.

It very much depends on what you are looking for, what you intend using it for and how big the vehicle needs to be as you indicate budget isn't an issue.