Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

I might build Vintage Camper/ Vintage truck.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

That would be a bit of overkill for what I have in mind.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
I've met the UPS driver on our route...I stopped wondering why my wife didn't complain about me ordering parts online...lol. You just need to call UPS and ask for a better looking/hunk driver...and parts can be delivered at will.

Brian.
haha.. looks aside, I think they all have attended some sort of charm school too

Old 11-23-2017, 06:46 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

There are some benefits to a camper that I can't see with a RTT. One is the rain issue. Both times I've been camping in UT it has downpoured. Even with my tent "water proofed" and seam sealed it still leaked. But ....it's kind of a cheap tent so maybe that's the problem.

Another is heat/insulation. Right now it's getting into the teens at night in the mountains. But it's 60+ during the day. Getting really close to too cold. A small heater and some insulation would change that. It would extend my available camping time.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Do you set up camp in one area and then head out to wheel or do you move from spot to spot? What is the terrian like getting to your camp site if you stay in one place?

Old 11-23-2017, 09:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like old trucks but I like this build

Old 11-23-2017, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

There you go Shifty

Old 11-23-2017, 12:09 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Do you set up camp in one area and then head out to wheel or do you move from spot to spot? What is the terrian like getting to your camp site if you stay in one place?
Historically we have moved every day. Terrain has varied. Sometimes it's desert rocks. Sometimes sand. Sometimes Forrest. We want to stay in one place for at least two nights next time.

That camper is bad ***. But the nice thing about a slide in w a truck is that I can pull the camper back out and use it as a truck. With something like that camper I'd be screwed. But it's so cool!!!

Old 11-23-2017, 12:31 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Forget all that and go with one of these sweet low-tech LAND ROVER options

Old 11-23-2017, 03:59 PM
Pro Wrench

Now THAT'S bad ***

Old 12-11-2017, 04:43 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
On my last trip out for 3 days my long time friend and I were reflecting on the amount of time setting up/taking down camp. Plus when we got into the high elevations of Utah it got down right cold at night being on the ground. Last year we got hit w a major rainstorm and had to pack up camp when the water started washing under the tent.

Talk began about a pick up with a slide in camper. The more booze we drank and the more we talked about it we started talking about how cool a vintage truck with a vintage camper would be. I found a few Alaskan models local. Cheap yet needing total restoration. These actually raise and lower when parked. I love this idea.Im seriously considering selling my Classic to make it happen. I realize I'd be giving up some of my off road capability from the Rover. The added convenience of the sleeping situation would be an ok trade off.

I'd really want a brutal simple truck. Preferably a 4spd. Easy field repairs.

This is the image I can't get out of my head.

Thoughts?
Nah Shift, it ain't an electric, ya gotta go 'electric', well that's what the politicians tell us.

The is a guy in the US who rebuilds old VW campers, he pulled an old one out of a field that he'd bought 31 years earlier and it started more or less that same day after a bit of 'fettling'. There's a vid of the truck online, problem is the rest of the truck was more rust than metal

That old VW opposed 4 cylinder air cooled engine is bomb proof IMO.

Quick Reply: I might build Vintage Camper/ Vintage truck.