Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

If there's not enough seating you'll take a beating!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 05:51 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default If there's not enough seating you'll take a beating!

Yep, overbooking has been a longtime bane of airlines but it's their problem not the passengers.

So has the United Airlines scandal landed in the US yet? I wonder how true the saying goes "If there's not enough seating you'll take a beating!"

Will this cause damage to UA for the future or just a passing phase?

Would I ever fly with UA, not bl**dy likely it's just too risky with their attitude

Old 04-11-2017, 06:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

All they had to do was say 'who will give up their seat for $3000 worth of domestic or overseas vouchers'. Someone would surely go for it. If not 3k then 5k, etc. Look where they are now.. public scrutiny, falling stock prices and a laughing stock of the airline industry. If I had a frequent flyer card I'd rip it up too. Despicable what they put that passenger through. I was absolutely horrified when I watched the video. I primarily fly Delta.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

The funny part is that the flight wasn't even oversold; they needed to transit a flight crew to another airport. Instead of putting that crew on another airline, they pulled this ****.

The nitty gritty to that end is articulated pretty nicely here:

https://np.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop...vja/?context=3

In the end:
  • United is going to get fined, heavily, by the FAA.
  • Who ever called the police may be facing charges, as the airline had no legal basis to remove the passenger. He broke neither their carriage contract, nor any FAA regulations. In fact, he was on the phone with his lawyer as this was playing out.
  • Their stock is going to tank as this progresses. It won't hit rock bottom at it's lowest point, but you'll be able to see rock bottom from where it stops.
  • This doctor is going to sue them for damages. If his lawyer is worth his salt, it's going to be a substantial settlement.

I've seen some **** while flying, but this is beyond the pale.

Side note, I made a decision some time ago never to fly United again if I could avoid it, but after seeing this, never again will I set foot on one of their aircraft.