Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

iPhone vs Blackberry Storm?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:07 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone vs Blackberry Storm?

I have an iPod Touch and love the interface. Would like to switch my PalmTreo for an iPhone but need to stay on Verizon for work issues.

Does anyone have experience with the new Blackberry Storm - it appears to have many of the features I am attracted to on the iPhone.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Apple will be changing or adding a new phone company very soon, might want to see who they pick.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i think they are going to open it up to verizon.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:50 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

An iphone with Verizon would be cell phone gold.
I have also heard that Verizon was going to get the iPhone, so I'd wait as well.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:40 PM
4wd Low

I actually have been selling phones at a pretty big retailer for quite some time now. As for Apple going to other services, it's unknown. They are soon announcing the Iphone 4G however, and it would run better on Verizon (not that the other iphones wouldn't) but I have the honest opinion they will not open it to other services. For quite some time we weren't even allowed to sell the phone at my store because they wanted it to be at certain retailers(even though walmart even had it at the time). They also would lose that certain desire for people to have the Iphone.

To answer the original question, most definitely the Apple. The storm is a great phone but it does lack that open market and only has around 1000 apps on the blackberry market. If it is for business use, either would suffice, but if you need tethering capabilities, its easier with the storm.

A good compromise would be the Motorola Droid tho. It works off the android open market and has around 10,000 apps, most of them being free.

Hope this has helped

Old 02-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

AT&T's network will crumble if the iPad takes off.... it can't handle the iPhone let alone people trying to stream video and download games for their iPad.... Apple will open to other companies.

Last edited by hilltoppersx; 02-07-2010 at 12:08 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 02-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Mudding

I just got a Droid two weeks ago.

I had a Storm it rebooted 2 times in 12 hours and I use mine for work and home and have info that I did not want to loose.

The yearly upgrade saved me a $100, they will send me a Credit Card.

The Droid is much faster than the Storm has free apps that you will ever use and is user friendly.

With the Droid or the Storm you have to have Internet with the Storm its slow and I did not want Internet but with the phone I had to.
Now with the Droid I'm glad I have the Net works fast.

There are three people that have i-phones at work and they are good phones but as I travel Verizon works best for me.

Would I get a i-phone there is a good chance but only with more coverage.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Drifting
Thumbs up

I-Phone definitely will be my choice...

renault A/C compressor

Old 02-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

As with all Apple products - they just work. They have occasional lock-ups and such, but compared to other phones out there, they are extremely reliable and simply do what they're told. Clean interface, clean coding, simple design, yet limitless flexibility and impressive performance.

Most of what makes the iphone so amazing has long-since been patented by apple, which is the main reason why the ENDLESS stream of iphone clones out there always fails to deliver. Even if they get the interface CLOSE, it still won't be the same. The multi-touch design apple uses is still generations ahead of standard touch interfaces which simply drive me insane. Build quality on the clones is never good; things crack, speakers stop working, surfaces scratch easily, connectors are loose, etc. Operating systems are worlds apart as well - the iphone is VERY stable and features a proven apple operating system, most of the clones have the same old proprietary one-off operating systems coded on a case-by-case situation for each model, and ALWAYS freeze, lock up, have call-echoing, fail to get/send all texts reliably, and have cluttered interfaces and poor browsing designs. I know friends at work with the latest blackberry phones, as well as one with the droid - they're always cursing at their phones in the background, or have to call me back with connection problems. The blackberry also gets horrible battery life, compared to my 3 year old 2g iphone?! They always end up saying "yeah whatever, I admit I'd buy an iphone too if I wasn't stuck with verizon!"

The beauty of the iphone is in its' simplicity. I hate the slide-out phones, they always break. I've got my one button on the front, and that's how I like it. Beyond that, the interface changes continuously based on what I require from the phone. That was the WHOLE IDEA behind the iphone.

I don't even have to compare the displays either - contrast, viewing angle, resolution.. there's no contest.

Plus the flexibility of being able to plug it into almost any ipod-equipped car, hotel alarm clock, chargers, etc is GREAT. Hell even my GYM has an ipod dock in the wall that's hooked up to their sound system.

Being able to sync my music, playlists, movies, notes, contacts, ringtones, etc with itunes is just icing on the cake. I don't care how capable people say their phone is - if you can't manage things quickly, easily, and reliably.. it doesn't mean anything. If I'm about to go on a run but feel like some new music, I can plug it in, click a different playlist in itunes, click "sync" and I'm done.

People will be playing catch-up for years to come, and by then.. apple will have thought of something better. =)