Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

It's Happening. Gas Is Dead!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 06:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts
Default It's Happening. Gas Is Dead!

EU making a move to end gas engines by 2035. I have so many random thoughts.

This is right around the corner especially for automakers. Can you imagine the chaos going on at some of the more reluctant auto manufacturers. Some of them will be downright caught out by this. Who will suffer? Not LR bcs Jaguar is out ahead developing electric?

After owning a Taycan for almost a month, I'm hooked. It's so damn torqued up. I caught myself doing 114 the other day. It was absolutely not intentional. I don't do that. It's just so easy get moving that fast in an EV.

Why the hell don't they sell EV's as fun and fast instead of 'save a tree'? That could bring in a lot of naysayers. Is that irresponsible?

Which manufacturer is ready to make the most of this? I'd have to say Tesla first then VW. The Audi and Porsche EV's are incredible. They clearly have the tech. Write cash-covered calls on their stocks until you get assigned then start writing puts. Repeat for years. Free stock.

This is kind of a power move for the EU. If they switch to clean nukes (they won't), this cuts Russia's heart out. I don't buy into climate change but this is good.

They say there isn't enough material for that many batteries. Are we still too f-img dumb that we'll farm this out to China?

Can you imagine the torque and power in a Defender? Wheels at each motor so traction is perfect. A gigantic frunk. $600 tires that last 15k miles.

Sorry for the long rant, just an interesting story. The future looks fun!

Also, What DOES Italy really smell like underneath all that diesel smell?

https://carbuzz.com/news/gas-powered...rds-extinction

Last edited by _Allegedly; 05-17-2022 at 03:38 AM.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:06 PM
Winching
Received 598 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
EU making a move to end gas engines by 2035. I have so many random thoughts.

This is right around the corner especially for automakers. Can you imagine the chaos going on at some of the more reluctant auto manufacturers. Some of them will be downright caught out by this. Who will.suffer? Not LR bcs Jaguar is developed their platform?

After owning a Taycan for almost a month, I'm hooked. It's so damn torqued up. I caught myself doing 114 the other day. It was absolutely not intentional. I don't do that. It's just so easy get moving that fast in an EV.

Why the hell don't they sell EV's as fun and fast instead of save a tree? That could bring in a lot of naysayers. Is that irresponsible?

Which manufacturer is ready to make the most of this? I'd have to say Tesla first then VW. The Audi and Porsche EV's are incredible. They clearly have the tech. Write cash-covered calls on their stocks until you get assigned then start writing puts. Repeat for years. Free stock.

This is kind of a power move for the EU. If they switch to clean nukes (they won't), this cuts Russia's heart out. I don't buy into climate change but this is good.

They say there isn't enough material for that many batteries. Are we still too f-img dumb that we'll farm this out to China?

Can you imagine the torque and power in a Defender? Wheels at each motor so traction is perfect. A gigantic frumk. $600 tires that last 15k miles.

Sorry for the long rant, just an interesting story. The future looks fun!

Also, What DOES Italy really smell like underneath all that diesel smell?

https://carbuzz.com/news/gas-powered...rds-extinction
I’m with you Allegedly, on most of this. Yes, the day of EV is coming. Will everyone be happy? Absolutely not. Will many be happy? Most likely. As you stated, the oomph-factor in an EV is irrefutable. As far as battery raw materials, technology will always keep up. Not long ago we were using copper wrapped D cells in our flashlights; then NiCad, now Lithium Ion. As we bemoan the loss of the exhaust note from our external combustion engines, it is inevitable that vehicle propulsion will always be evolving.Watching the Jetsons as a kid, we were spellbound at George Jetson zooming up to his ‘space house’ in his rocket/car. If that day were to come, there will always be some missing their turbo V8, 5-speed, but like it or not, that day will come, too. Whale oil once illuminated homes, now we throw a switch. Do we hear of any groups advocating the return of wooden sailing ships? Sadly, climate change is real, backed by science and numbers, satellite imagery of the polar ice caps shrinking, but unfortunately since it won’t happen overnight and affect those trodding the earth today, it is shuffled off for future generations to deal with. Life happens, doesn’t matter what we think.

The following users liked this post:
bearwalla (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 07:16 PM
Winching
Received 570 Likes on 302 Posts

Indeed

​​​​​​

Porsche is on it's game (as always)

Matt

Old 05-16-2022, 08:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by MattF
Indeed

​​​​​​https://youtu.be/GiYT3ftvsYI

Matt
Taycan sounds like a space ship but that thing sounds like an entire alien army.. I think they easily beat Tesla on the drivetrain but they lag in software.

They have said that they think the future is hybrid. Apparently they don't get to make that decision.

Old 05-16-2022, 09:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,355 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by MattF
Indeed

​​​​​​https://youtu.be/GiYT3ftvsYI

Matt
As a GT4 owner I find the GT4E to be revolting. The GT4RS is amped up enough already. If you try to take that E on a race circuit you’ll get a lot of resistance even though I guess it does have a lot of potential.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 209 Likes on 137 Posts

"EU making a move to end gas engines by 2035"
Good luck with that !
My question is... will EU be around by 2035 ?

The following 2 users liked this post by Mechano2020:
mopadzi (05-17-2022), nashvegas (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 09:49 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

I absolutely embrace the EV future. My Defender is my DD, but I eventually want to add a Tesla for commuting. I can't wait to see how the change begins to affect overlanding. I know Rivian is out there trying to make it happen, but range is still limited by where you can charge up and without some serious advances in solar, where does that leave extended trips?

I am not even a serious overlander, but I do spend a ton of time camping/exploring Colorado wherever my Defender can take me. Until I can charge up at whatever tiny mountain town before I really leave civilization for a while, I have to stick with gas.

I am also assuming a lot of those issues will begin to diminish over time even faster than they have over the last 3-5 years and in another 3-5, extended trips into nothingness may not be a concern.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:58 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
As a GT4 owner I find the GT4E to be revolting. The GT4RS is amped up enough already. If you try to take that E on a race circuit you’ll get a lot of resistance even though I guess it does have a lot of potential.
Revolting how? Genuinely curious. I've never even sat in a GT4, so no judgment here either way.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

I have a simple question which is stopping me from participating in EV land: Where do the batteries go once they are used up? Are we as a world ready to handle this quantity?

Does anyone know of documentation to this answer this question?

Enjoy !!

Mechano2020 (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 10:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,355 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Originally Posted by Nick4
Revolting how? Genuinely curious. I've never even sat in a GT4, so no judgment here either way.
Maybe the bolding will help?

Although I do actually find the electronical version revolting. The GT4 was conceived in 2015 as a return to the “pure drivers car”, after the GT3 had abandoned the manual transmission altogether. Build all the electronical 911s you want but leave the GT4 gas, manual, loud, until it’s final days.

MattF (05-17-2022)

Quick Reply: It's Happening. Gas Is Dead!