Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

It's Happening. Gas Is Dead!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 03:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,188 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Too expensive is relative.... Can you imagine an every-Land-Rover-is electric world?
I wonder what sort of electrical driveway puddles would form.

^^^Audible gif^^^

Old 05-17-2022, 03:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

Allegedly - thanks for sharing the spec and photo. That's a cool car -- I think I'll add it to my "list"

The following users liked this post:
_Allegedly (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 03:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by UtahLandy
I have no doubt the Taycan is the cutting edge of EV's and Porsche did it right. But at the price point of $100K plus, that certainly opens the door for all kinds of exciting cars to buy from 911's to my personal favorite a Ferrari 355. Cars that would fill your soul with the exhaust note alone.
Most of which wouldn't hold my wife, son, his guitar, a giant cooler full of cocktails in the frunk, and some crap we bought at West Elm the day before. It's a practical early mid-life crisis.

Old 05-17-2022, 03:59 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by GavinC
I wonder what sort of electrical driveway puddles would form.

^^^Audible gif^^^
OMG, they still have cooling systems. You aren't wrong.

Old 05-17-2022, 04:14 PM
Banned
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Most of which wouldn't hold my wife, son, his guitar, a giant cooler full of cocktails in the frunk, and some crap we bought at West Elm the day before. It's a practical early mid-life crisis.
That's what the Defender is for.

Old 05-17-2022, 05:17 PM
Mudding
Received 155 Likes on 88 Posts

You aren't wrong. Mine charges at 11 kWh. That's a big load.

Some states are much better off though. I couldn't, for a million dollars, remember the last brownout or blackout in Florida aside from a day or so after a hurricane a few years back. It's rock-solid here (thanks for the nat gas).

Idk about Texas, maybe someone's cooking a lot of meth because Good Lord you use a lot of energy. On a consumption list of 50 states, y'all came in at 51. Like they had to add DC in there just for an extra dig at Texas?

My uneducated guess is that much if it is being used to create more energy which gets exported? You can't squeeze industry to pay a little more to upgrade the system that they're overworking because they have too much political power?
From what I've read, the majority of their power goes to industrial uses, though they still are one of the highest users of residential, so there may still be some meth in there! I think the industrial use is oil refining - go figure! I guess the oil is "exported power", but otherwise all that electricity stays in Texas since they aren't connected to the east or west power grid (which, would probably fix their lack of power issues in extreme conditions, but hey, deregulation is great, right?).

Old 05-17-2022, 05:34 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by UtahLandy
That's what the Defender is for.
There's this guy. He was born without a body. Just a head. He's okay with it. He's in the cancellations department for Time Warner cable and he loves talking to people.

Sometimes he does wonder what it would be like to run around so he rests on the window sill of the upstairs window. He watches the kids play for hours.

Anyway, he sees his mom coming home, she throws the door open and yells to the 2nd floor, "Wendell, Wendell, I got you a surprise!!!!"

Wendell says, "better not be another f**king hat!"

Variety.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 05-17-2022 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:42 PM
Banned
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

"better not be another f**king hat!"
I saw that coming!

The following users liked this post:
_Allegedly (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 05:42 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by D-Fens
From what I've read, the majority of their power goes to industrial uses, though they still are one of the highest users of residential, so there may still be some meth in there! I think the industrial use is oil refining - go figure! I guess the oil is "exported power", but otherwise all that electricity stays in Texas since they aren't connected to the east or west power grid (which, would probably fix their lack of power issues in extreme conditions, but hey, deregulation is great, right?).
Okay so, Texas burns nat gas to drill oil and wind to refine it into diesel for the ship that moves the nat gas that they extracted with electricity that came from burning more nat gas to Florida where we turn the other nat gas into electricity for my EV.

We are insane.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 05-17-2022 at 06:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
D-Fens (05-18-2022), GrouseK9 (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 07:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 209 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
I have a simple question which is stopping me from participating in EV land: Where do the batteries go once they are used up? Are we as a world ready to handle this quantity?

Does anyone know of documentation to this answer this question?

Enjoy !!
Probably back into the mine where it came from ....

Cobalt mine for "green" EVs

....But don't let your heart be troubled ... is all for the good of the planet

Quick Reply: It's Happening. Gas Is Dead!