Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

John Craddock Ltd - Alternative to Rovers North and Atlantic British

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 08:34 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by OverRover

Genuine parts or aftermarket does it even matter anymore.....the same "highly skilled" 10 year old will be making them either way.
Bad boy

Old 04-01-2017, 10:26 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hi TRIARII, the LR rotors are a really good price particularly for kosher LR parts but the pads are LR mega expensive items. You may have been better just buying solely the rotors.

And while you may find prices for Genuine brake pads expensive at John Craddock, the same pads are even more expensive here in the states.

Rovers North:
- Genuine Front Pads SFP500150 $84.95
- Genuine Rear Pads SFP500130 $ 129.95
- Genuine Front Rotor SDB000380 $ 99.50 per disk
- Genuine Rear Rotor SDB000470 $98.50 per disk

Total excluding shipping: $610.90

Ive never tried Genuine pads and rotors on any of my vehicles in the past, and Im willing to bet most folks also dont use Genuine brakes due in part to the cost. I have used cheap brake rebuild kits as well as expensive drilled slotted rotors and ceramic ebc pads. Never noticed any improvement in braking performance. Ive compared my D2 with a buddies D2 that was also fitted with "performance" brakes and they all feel about the same and offer no significant improvement in braking. So I figured it might be worth investigating Genuine pads and rotors. Maybe they were designed to provide the best braking vs cheap aftermarket imitation brake kits. That said if I can purchase a complete Genuine brake kit for cheaper from the UK than that is the route Im taking.

Should this Genuine brake kit not offer any significant braking performance then the next line of business will be retrofitting calipers and pads from another rig that brakes better.

Last edited by TRIARII; 04-01-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:53 PM

Hi TRIARII, those RN prices are way OTT, they're eye watering prices. In all honesty I have used LR parts for many years including rotors and pads but I have recently bought some aftermarket drilled and grooved rotors with EBC pads which are in my garage awaiting fitting. In all honesty I believe the LR OEM rotors and pads are second to none for stoppers but have been OTT on price in the past. When it comes to engine mountings I reckon the best are genuine LR as they have lasted 14 years so the new ones will see me out.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:56 PM

Take a browse through these guys

https://www.jgs4x4.co.uk/discovery/discovery-2/brakes/

Good value at current exchange rates.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:27 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hi TRIARII, those RN prices are way OTT, they're eye watering prices. In all honesty I have used LR parts for many years including rotors and pads but I have recently bought some aftermarket drilled and grooved rotors with EBC pads which are in my garage awaiting fitting. In all honesty I believe the LR OEM rotors and pads are second to none for stoppers but have been OTT on price in the past. When it comes to engine mountings I reckon the best are genuine LR as they have lasted 14 years so the new ones will see me out.

They are indeed over priced. Even local auto parts stores retail brake parts for $$$ which is why I have resorted to buying parts directly from the UK. So far John Craddock has only made me very happy with their excellent customer service and excellent prices that beat most all competition. Im equally happy with my experience with Turner Engineering; again great customer service, excellent prices and a solid reputation for making top of the line engines for our rovers. There will be folks especially here in that frown on the idea of buying things from England but hey its their money not mine

In "merica" parts are more expensive, we have a smaller selection of parts and accessories, small overland following, limited selection of foreign vehicles/models/engines and crappy road laws.

Last edited by TRIARII; 04-01-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by TRIARII
They are indeed over priced. Even local auto parts stores retail brake parts for $$$ which is why I have resorted to buying parts directly from the UK. So far John Craddock has only made me very happy with their excellent customer service and excellent prices that beat most all competition. Im equally happy with my experience with Turner Engineering; again great customer service, excellent prices and a solid reputation for making top of the line engines for our rovers. There will be folks especially here in that frown on the idea of buying things from England but hey its their money not mine

In "merica" parts are more expensive, we have a smaller selection of parts and accessories, small overland following, limited selection of foreign vehicles/models/engines and crappy road laws.

You are spot on TRIARII, I always buy wherever is most competitive for the same goods be it the US, China, Bulgaria, Poland or the UK. I am never in a rush to spend money so if whoever sells the most competitive they get my business as it's great not having allegiances to any one particular country. Why buy locally, most goods are imported in any event and now the UK prices are rising if you are spending £££'s. Ironically, for many things France is now cheaper even for LR spares.

Landypoint - Spare Parts for Land Rover, Mini, Jaguar, Rover, MG, Austin & Lotus

Old 04-07-2017, 11:06 AM
TReK

I placed my order with John Craddock for the genuine brake rotors and pads on Friday March 31, and paid £172.83. On Tuesday April 4th I was informed that the rear gen pads were out of stock and being specially ordered. Friday April 7th I was charged an additional £80.00 (Converted to USD = $100) for shipping and my order was shipped out via FedEx International Priority. Expected delivery date is Monday April 10th.

So I spent £252.83 (Converted to USD = $313.39 for everything shipped from the UK. Same part numbers shipped from Atlantic British to my door would cost $389 shipped before %10 discount. The combined weight of the order is 82.89 lbs. I will post a follow up when I receive the order.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have always used Rimmer Bros. Just ordered a bunch of D90 parts, about half the cost of the USA parts guys and shipping was only slightly more. Had parts in less then 2 days, UPS.

Shipping is easier and more straightforward then Craddock as well, they do not email you a separate quote for shipping.

Last edited by Matt927; 04-07-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:21 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Matt927
I have always used Rimmer Bros. Just ordered a bunch of D90 parts, about half the cost of the USA parts guys and shipping was only slightly more. Had parts in less then 2 days, UPS.

Shipping is easier and more straightforward then Craddock as well, they do not email you a separate quote for shipping.
The key with John Craddock is to email them personally with your questions so they can give you the grand total including estimated shipping charges. They seem to be pretty busy most days so you may have to wait afew days to hear back from them. Ive had good luck with Donna Morrow.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:48 AM

It certainly sounds like the US vendors are capitalising on the preferential exchange rates and now overcharging their US customers. In truth their costs should have dropped substantially being they have to pay less for their imports whether from the UK or Europe. It does smell a bit fishy for no good reason apart from greed.

Quick Reply: John Craddock Ltd - Alternative to Rovers North and Atlantic British