Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Landrover Discovery to Slovakia

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 10:45 AM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Jaguar Land Rover to cut British jobs as it moves ALL production of Discovery SUV to Slovakia

The group, owned by India's Tata Motors, had previously said that only some of its next generation Discovery will be built at its Slovakia plant.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
We'll wait and see. TATA is an Indian company who also own TATA Steel much of which is in the UK. IMHO Solihull is dead in the water since Brexit as are many retail chains and industries, take for instance Rolls Royce Aero Engines in Derby and the vehicle industry is suffering the ill effects of the turndown generally. TATA being Indian are only interested in profit margin and investment none of which the UK government can or will offer. As stated, we'll wait and see but it doesn't look too hopeful for the slippery slope downhill
It has nothing to do with Brexit. That's just what the press (and you) want to believe. Look at GBP/USD exchange rate charts over 30 years. Pound sterling goes up and down. Up and down. Before and after Brexit. The rest is a compliance function which is already in place at these companies. They are NOT leaving UK over Brexit. If anything the exchange rate has fallen since Brexit which is GOOD for exports. Slovakia is in Eastern Europe and is a poor country with low labor costs and an educated workforce. That is why they are outsourcing.

TATA created the worlds cheapest car. They are a corner cutting company. The new Land Rovers are glorified Kia's. They are a complete joke. 6 cylinder. Like the Freelanders - they are not even real Land Rovers. They might look kinda good new.. but everything looks good new. Jut saying.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance

Jaguar Land Rover to cut British jobs as it moves ALL production of Discovery SUV to Slovakia

The group, owned by India's Tata Motors, had previously said that only some of its next generation Discovery will be built at its Slovakia plant.
Maybe the cars aren't selling that good. They are not even real Land Rovers, after all. TATA cares about cutting corners and selling a Lux Label for profit. Now the car looks like a glorified KIA. If TATA cared about revamping Land Rover they would produce a powerful modern version of the old British African Safari roots Land Rovers. V10 engine. Lux interior. Large standard Tires. Lift. Offroad Mod options. Add more "box" and "edge" to the design at the expense of MPG. Nobody buys Land Rovers for MPG. Nobody.

Until they do this I will be holding on to my older Land Rovers.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:40 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

The Discovery 5 diesel is a beast off road.

I love it when people deny the newer rovers with the excuse that they dont like them And are holding onto their old rovers, but really cant afford a new model.

I will say it straight up, I can’t afford a new Disvovery 5 with all the bells and whistles.

Have you driven one? KIA it is not.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:14 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by abran

I love it when people deny the newer rovers with the excuse that they dont like them And are holding onto their old rovers, but really cant afford a new model.

I will say it straight up, I can’t afford a new Disvovery 5 with all the bells and whistles.

X1 ................ agreed. I have driven one and as you say, it's a real beast. I own a diesel LR4 mostly for the extra space over my previous diesel 3.0L RR Sport which was also a beast offroad. The only LR's I've never owned is a Series Mk1 but I've never owned but have driven an early D1 prior to the market release.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Originally Posted by abran

Off course he hasn't, if he had he would know better.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:01 AM
Banned

I have driven one on the dealers course and it's a glorified KIA joke of a car that looks like a sagging diaper. Cheap, cheap, cheap. You can feel and see the corner cutting in the cheap plastic fixtures. There is no way you will ever sell me on a 4-6 cylinder "off road" car. Yes I get it the original Land Rovers were 4-6 cylinders. So what? For $70,000.00+ I demand an ultimate off road car that turns heads. I can get a better car by purchasing one of the older, real Land Rovers and dumping a ton of cash into Mods. Or I can get a brand new top of the line Jeep and dump a ton of cash into Mods. I've seen Jeeps Modded out wicked with lifts, tires, no doors, add on's. They look awesome. Either is better than a saggy diaper TATA with Chinese molds. An absolute joke of a Land Rover.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

2020 models supposed to start over there?