Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Looking at turning a Hobby into a Career. Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
1. completely off topic to wat this young chap has asked for.
2. not trying to argue with someone about things that I work with everyday. Believe whatever you want to believe.
which is why im happy it's a free country!

the whole point i was trying to make is, that if i was in the kids shoes i would go get some electronics or computer degree and then go into automotive repair if that's what he wants to do. I would try and be an innovator in auto electronics.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you again for all the input and wisdom! My back up plan is to go into law in enforcement or a Fire Fighter. Just something interactive, it's difficult for me to stay in one place, ADHD will do that to you lol....

Old 07-27-2011, 01:18 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Yes, you can. But try for grants first. You don't have to pay those back.
No doubt, I'm already looking at grants and lucky for me my dad and uncles have supplied me with bunch of tool they no longer want or need ...

Old 07-27-2011, 01:30 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by dgi 07
To the OP. I actually just graduated a tech school (Lincoln Tech) last week. Spent $27k. Graduated with honors, etc. yada, yada yada. Been working in the industry for about two years now.
If you really wanna enter the auto industry, I will warn you. Manufacturer warranty times are plummeting, so there is no money to be made. So far i have worked for three manufacturers (Honda, Mercedes Benz and Smart) and have seen multiple instances of times being dropped. And if you are in a dealer, a good 60% of your work is warranty. Cash times are better, but when 60% of your work is warranty, its hard to make money. Its no longer just about being a grease monkey either. Its no longer, wrenches and impact guns. Gotta learn how to use a computer, how to look at actual values.
I did it the same way you are now thinking, turning a hobby into a career. Will till you at this point, its no longer a hobby for me. But thas just me. It may be different for you.
Yeah, I know if I go to tech school for automotive Its pretty much set in stone that I will have a job pertaining to cars or trucks... I'm not one of those over the top religious people, but I have a feeling I will go to where I'm needed, hopefully its in a old series . Is the supply and demand for mechanics regional? I bumped into a guy at my subdivision pool, turns out he had the 95RRC parked Next to My 95 Disco, it also turns out he was a rover mechanic. He said that demand for British car mechanics was going up.

Thanks again for all the help

Old 07-30-2011, 02:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Default Its 3:30 am and I cant sleep, so I made a short storry

Originally Posted by vincecurse
Hi! I'm a newbie here. I'm looking for a forum where I can ask for some help for my sister's wedding and This forum came out. I'm hoping to have an off-topic discussion here about flowers. Thanks guys!
Well you will want to get your sister the freshest flowers. This will requrie some effort. You will first find your local Federal park, make sure it allows you to pick flowers with out any charge (note federal parks in Va,La, and Ny charge for flower picking) you will want to buy a nice pair of boots and some stainless steal sheer's. After making sure there is no fee find a nice path or trail and walk it for at least 5 miles you may, when you see a flower you think your sister might like snip it, make sure to cut it at a 45 degree angle (note if cut at 44 or 46 the earth will blow up and it will be all your fault) while sniping flowers call Toyota and tell them that you would like a Prius (note: most people that would post on a random thread "help me chose flowers for my sisters wedding would be out of their mind, their they would most likely love a Toyota Prius). While frolicking in fields of flowers make sure you don't trip on ruts of the very rare and very wild
"Land Rover". "Land Rovers" the largest spotting of "Land Rovers" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvP7s71Eeow you can tell if the ruts are from a "Land Rovers" by picking up a sample of dirt and smelling if it smells like Burt oil or unused fuel its a pack of "Land Rovers" (note is you smell unused fuel your most likely tracking a "Discovery Series 1). This is due to a birth defect in the fuel tank. If you follow the ruts you might just see these beasts drinking from a small pound or shallow river, but if you spook them this may happen ‪Land Rovers in Deep Deep Water (HiQltyVid)‬‏ - YouTube. (note you may see "Range Rovers") this happens to the new tracker. "Range Rovers can be found in the inner city where they are kept as pets and are forced to get groceries from store and kids from dare I say soccer!!!!! So please If you see any type of rover please look and take pictures, BUT PLEASE UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE is it okay to pet a "Rover". Petting a Rover could cause serious injuries or death. Now that your done go pick up that Earth killing Prius and feed it to the wild and hunger "Rovers".... This is the yuppies guide to a rover....

I was ready to flame this guy, but instead i made a short story out it. I hope you had fun reading it, if you didn't well you have the right to your own opinion.