Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Maintenance for you

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020 | 10:27 AM
|
TReK

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Hard to enjoy something you hate.

Ever tried a martial art? Good workout and plenty of stretching. Was in Taekwondo for about five years, 21-26, really enjoyed the whole aspect. Actually use to workout in Sarnia, at Bluewater club and did some tournaments in various places in Canada. Took it up after giving up motocross, injury, and it filed the gap nicely...kind of competitive (if you like) or just a good workout with the benefit of being able to defend yourself. Thought it would be a good way to help me heal and strengthen my injury and l'd get back to motocross...but it never worked out that way. Finally came to my senses, somewhat, and decided double jumping over folks on Sunday and having to go to work on Monday...wasn't a good idea...lol.

Funny story...rode dirt bikes for years, motocross, trail rides, hill climbing, you name it. Anyhow, gave it up completely when l got into my late 40's. So, a couple years ago l'm coming home from a bird hunting trip up north, stop at the gas station to fill up, while there a motorhome pulls in with a trailer attached...filled with dirt bikes. Driving, is a guy about my age. I think...cool! And thoughts of me getting back into it surface on the exterior of my brain. While l'm daydreaming about a new two stroke and what brand l'd buy, the passenger (another guy about my age) exits the vehicle. He comes around the front of the motorhome, bracing himself against the hood as he does and you can see he is in a great deal of pain. He gets to the drivers door, opens it and helps him out. The driver, looks like a stale pretzel as he walks bend over looking at his feet to the fuel door...and is a great amount of physical pain also. The passenger heads off for the inside of the station and it takes him a good two or three minutes to clear the distance. It was just about then...that the image of me scrambling the backwoods of Michigan on a YZ490 evaporated from my view...lol.

Brian.

I did mma about 10 years ago for about a year and it is very tiring but it did teach me a bit about self defence and how to properly punch and kick.
When I’m watching my fav older Steven seagal movies I wish I was still doing it
but I just turned 40 and full time job , running a house hold and walking my beagle in the beer by forest 🌳 I’m happy plus you know how much time the disco occupies

but I am very glad I took mma really did teach me a lot.

I would like to get into it again

Old 04-06-2020 | 05:13 AM
Camel Trophy

You just have to make time. My belief is..."there isn't anything that needs done today that can't be put off until after l'm dead".

Old 04-06-2020 | 08:58 AM
TReK

Lol
I started on dirtbikes at 12, did 2 seasons of 250B mx at 19 and 20, soon after realized how much I enjoy not being paralyzed. Have been on sportbikes since 18, owning lots of bikes and being fortunate to have ridden almost everything sport or dirt from Japan.
Last month (after telling myself I was buying a Yamaha 700 Raptor for the last few years, and, since my friend's '18 gsxr1000rr lives in my basement and I ride it whenever I want) I decided to go against my better judgement and buy an 05 Suzuki drz400 dual sport. Wow, first real off road/trail ride for a couple hours last week...and I found all the muscles I Thought I still used.
It has cams, ported head, bigger carb, exhaust, and I set the sag for me, blah, blah, etc, it was too good to pass up...but man, 42 doesn't quite feel like 22, lol.
I remember why I swore off dirtbikes.
I bought it the 17th, and the dmv closed the 18th, so no tag until probably June. It's basically a dirtbike to legally road ride to trails, and 65mph is about it, if that. Taller gearing would be too tall for the woods. So it's a fart around town bike.
Since I can still drag a knee on a 1k whenever, I may have to rethink this whole dirtbike thing...and get rid of it for the old guy Raptor while I'm still uninjured, lmao!

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020 | 04:55 PM
|
TReK

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Lol
I started on dirtbikes at 12, did 2 seasons of 250B mx at 19 and 20, soon after realized how much I enjoy not being paralyzed. Have been on sportbikes since 18, owning lots of bikes and being fortunate to have ridden almost everything sport or dirt from Japan.
Last month (after telling myself I was buying a Yamaha 700 Raptor for the last few years, and, since my friend's '18 gsxr1000rr lives in my basement and I ride it whenever I want) I decided to go against my better judgement and buy an 05 Suzuki drz400 dual sport. Wow, first real off road/trail ride for a couple hours last week...and I found all the muscles I Thought I still used.
It has cams, ported head, bigger carb, exhaust, and I set the sag for me, blah, blah, etc, it was too good to pass up...but man, 42 doesn't quite feel like 22, lol.
I remember why I swore off dirtbikes.
I bought it the 17th, and the dmv closed the 18th, so no tag until probably June. It's basically a dirtbike to legally road ride to trails, and 65mph is about it, if that. Taller gearing would be too tall for the woods. So it's a fart around town bike.
Since I can still drag a knee on a 1k whenever, I may have to rethink this whole dirtbike thing...and get rid of it for the old guy Raptor while I'm still uninjured, lmao!

sounds like fun