Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Older airbag any good ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 07:20 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
Here in the US most independent garages loath to work on Rovers. In my last location, the shop next to me had a couple of Rover owners but hated working on the trucks. I never could understand why but the feeling he had was not unusual. Meanwhile, he would think nothing of working on a muscle car from the '60's. So for the smaller shops, it's really not about the money. I think it's more about the lack of hands on experience (especially with the small number of Rovers on the road here in the states) that turns these shops off. Add that to the expense of the parts (and rarity of some for older models) and the brand is viewed as more bother than it's worth.

Now as far as the Land Rover dealers are concerned, they don't want the older trucks taking up lift space because they know most of the owners are likely to blanch at the cost of repair on their $3K trucks. If the average cost of repair at a dealership is greater than the cost of the vehicle coming in, how could you possibly expect to make money. Most older Rover owners would never pay $5k in repairs on a '96 DI. For the dealer, it's a waste of time to even bother with the diagnostics. It's a business, not a hobby, plain and simple.

On the topic of countries and the age of their automobiles, the average age of a used car in France is 7.4 years whereas the average age for the same category of cars in the US is 11.6. According to IHS, that age is growing yearly.

https://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-m...-the-vehicle-8

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...its-11.6-years

The average for all of Europe according to the ACEA is still lower at 10.7 years. An that includes all the countries in Europe, both wealthy and poor.

Average Vehicle Age | ACEA - European Automobile Manufacturers' Association
Where I live in the Poitou-Charente I would guess the average vehicle age is around 15+ years but I have noticed a remarkable difference that many are buying newer cars due to now 'easier credit' in France, they tend to live in very old crappy tumble down inherited houses or modern tiny boxy white bungalows but spend their money on 'waste of money' trinkets. Theft crime and murder is on the increase nationally. It's a very odd society here but it suits my purposes rather than the UK 'keep up with the Jones' ideology. Far too many people and far too busy in towns, people spending their money everywhere on silly rubbish they put on credit cards and truthfully cannot really afford, it looks like Armageddon 2008 all over again but they will never learn. The young, 25-32 years, complain that house prices are far too expensive but they still buy all the 'mod cons' like smart mobile telephones, tablets, TV's, new freezers etc instead of saving for their first house. IMHO society is being 'conned' into their headlong rush to self aggrandisement for little gain apart from future financial grief. c'est la vie, it takes all types. The one thing about age and some intelligence is 'you've seen it all before' and learned the lessons, often the hard way but 'they' know best. Hey, who mentioned Brexit!!!

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 02-02-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, my question I posted not too long ago has been answered, the hard way. I was broadsided by a red light runner this evening. God Bless my Disco. He saved my butt. And YES, BOTH airbags deployed. Still good after 20 years. Amazing.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Just saw this, so no major issues with deployment. Amazing really.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by stillruns
Just saw this, so no major issues with deployment. Amazing really.
No delay on deployment at all. Truly amazing.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:28 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

So the airbags deployed on a side impact?

Old 09-16-2018, 07:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
So the airbags deployed on a side impact?
They sure did

Old 09-19-2018, 03:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Glad you're okay.

Brian.