Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

public execution of land rover defender

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

The problem with ME's, EE's, CE's, etc. is that their basic training at university is restricted to classroom work and a little time in the lab. A lot more field work before being turned loose would be good. Having spent years working with those eager young students and grad students has taught me not to loan them tools without holding a smart phone for collateral; and no matter what the equipment, they are capable of rendering it useless in record time.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:19 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True, S.Buzz. But...rendering useless in their capable hands can be a good thing . Most are so brilliant and young that no task is too hard or time-consuming for them to shy away from tackling. They're eager and qualified, and usually can't wait to fix what's failed and improve the prototype.

The problem is the manufacturer's profitability plan stems too little from new, innovative products (that consumers choose to buy...the "want" factor b/c the mousetrap is "better" or "cooler" ) and too much from planned obsolescence (that consumers "need" to buy...b/c the product keeps breaking or its replacement parts become impossible to find or cost-prohibitive to buy/install).

Many Americans learned from those of the Depression generation that stuff must break or wear out before we buy something new . But, today, a manufacturer might leave 1 tiny needle off-line on a textile machine that never gets repaired properly, so that a stitch in the cotton jeans will eventually separate after washing and wearing, and make a hole in the fabric . That never happened with old Levi's, Lee, or Wrangler. Those jeans...dungarees...last forever, if they still fit! Lol.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Amen on the still fit, it is only recently that my chronological age has edged by my waistline....

And is is good that we have a fresh injection of new dreamers in the design and engineering fields.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:23 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha. Thanks for the age vs. waistline humor to drown my Discovery's whining sounds in laughter . And, yes, dreamers are special people, even if a little off-center sometimes. Lol. Good news is that my Ultra-Gauge arrived, but I still gotta learn to use it. Like most dreamers, my work will be done well, but not particularly speedy.