Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Seriously?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,490 Likes on 1,217 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Please note that lr2001silver has left the building.

Now while everyone is thinking about it, I'll throw out a couple of questions.... and let the chips fall where they may.

1. Moderators are invited now to participate. Do you think that there should be term limits for their service, or that we should rotate every "X" time period?

2. Should moderators read every post, and jump in and filter things? There are not enough of us for that.

3. How should moderators handle "**** posts" ( I delete it as one member raised the the issue of violations of work place computer practices)?

4. How should moderators handle posts that would be a sexual harrassment issue at the office? For me, I guess I'll have to retire Defender gal in the mud pix. Certainly this is a male dominated site, but many of us have ladies in our life, and even children. I'd like to see more gals on the site, and they should be welcomed, not forced to "strut through a construction site."

5. As a moderator my most common duty is scanning for multiple posts by the same unrecognized new name, and finding links to some off the wall service like Paris call girls, DVDs of TV shows and ****, or stuff that has nothing to do with us, like knocked down discount decorator furniture. Those get purged to keep your visits to the site entertaining and productive.

I'm not here for a popularity contest. I like Land Rovers. I like to help where I can. None of us knows it all. And no one knows more than all of us together.
1. Don't care to be honest

2. I think it's more of a catch what you can, for each of us. Also the forum members can help out with the questionable posts by reporting the post for us to look at and make a call

3. **** is ****, it should be deleted, or sent to me in a PM

4. They should be handled the same as issues that arise with threats against a member. Delete it, give a warning and if it happens repeatedly than a decision will be made to ban or not. I know a lot of off color comments are made here and there myself included, so I think we just need to keep in mind family enviroment.

5. That is what I feel we are really here for in the end. As a whole I think the community knows what is right and what isn't. I have noticed on here over the years that most people tend to curb their comments a bit according to which forum they are on. I.E. what is fine on dweb/pirate as compared to what is ok here or LRO etc.

I'm here to read the threads learn things help when I can. I like rovers and I enjoy getting out to the events. Meeting some of you all at the events has been a blast.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 01-14-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Why so serious...

Deep Thoughts...

I will simply suggest this new tactic relating to threads where the rules of this form are compromised; DO NOT DELETE ENTIRE THREADS.

The language filter already automatically keeps people with a sensitivity to foul language "protected". I would save any argument about what is offensive for another thread. "If you can't say it on network TV"... is a good baseline.

My belief is that by censoring content of the forum you tend to leave users with an uncomfortable feeling. The appearance of heated disucssion or debate is a good thing. It will certainly show the other members what type of personality the offending parties have. IF a thread gets out of hand (in the opinions of the moderators) then you can either publicly or privately discuss the forum rules with the party but do NOT delete the thread. You will serve to show others where the boundries are and you will show people that there is nothing to hide.

I would like to know which moderator deleted the thread I started when I asked if Silver was acting with a conflict of interest according to this forums operating standards? WHY delete it? Not for bad language... was some unflattering detail revealed about someone? Got something to hide? That's what it looks like.

Again, by deleting entire threads you destroy the legitimacy of a forum. If a particular post is offensive then maybe that post only could be blocked from view with a note from the mods. OR archive the threads you shutdown so people can still see what happened but no longer contribute to the bloodletting.

Another good idea for you LRF folks. Remind THE Disco Mike this is not HIS forum. IF anyone questions him or his advice he threatens them with a ban. Just let people hash out conversations on their own and stop with all the editing and banning. This site is suffering (imploding recently) from the mindset of a man who (I do not know) seems to be a power hungry control freak. Now it is biting him and the site owners in the rear.

The success of other forums is not solely based on dirty words, pictures and jokes. We have TheCHIVE for that. The insults and crappy attitudes do not make a forum. The membership and the tech knowledge is the main point. Those other forums are simply more honest and that is the appeal. You can just have fun and be yourself. When some knucklehead is posting about stupid modifications, handing out wrong advice or is just a blatant know-nothing poser then you have to allow the rest of the herd to push them out to the waiting wolves. Look also at the length of time some folks have been members at DWEB for example. Over the years many have become friends. If you can't bust ***** with a buddy because the room you are in is lame or some putz who thinks he is in charge keeps shutting down conversations then people will leave. That is what you have here... people are walking away.

Take Expedition Exchange for another example. Most people in this little Rover forum world don't even know about it. You have to be a customer of EE to join and post. Pretty exclusive in that sense. If you read through the heavy traffic areas of that forum it is not tech heavy. The interests over there are lifestyle based. I think they talk more about sweet bikes, guns and crap that is bolted to your average $800 disco. They also like to rank on funny of just plain stupid stuff. Not much tech talk but I dare say that core membership knows more about any Rover than Mike ever learned as a service writer. They are having fun and making fun.

This place is just too damn serious about itself... like Mike. People come for the tech and stay for the fun. No need to be like other more "open" forums but certainly no need to become the thought police.

Last edited by Cosmic88; 01-14-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Please note that lr2001silver has left the building.

Now while everyone is thinking about it, I'll throw out a couple of questions.... and let the chips fall where they may.

1. Moderators are invited now to participate. Do you think that there should be term limits for their service, or that we should rotate every "X" time period?

2. Should moderators read every post, and jump in and filter things? There are not enough of us for that.

3. How should moderators handle "**** posts" ( I delete it as one member raised the the issue of violations of work place computer practices)?

4. How should moderators handle posts that would be a sexual harrassment issue at the office? For me, I guess I'll have to retire Defender gal in the mud pix. Certainly this is a male dominated site, but many of us have ladies in our life, and even children. I'd like to see more gals on the site, and they should be welcomed, not forced to "strut through a construction site."

5. As a moderator my most common duty is scanning for multiple posts by the same unrecognized new name, and finding links to some off the wall service like Paris call girls, DVDs of TV shows and ****, or stuff that has nothing to do with us, like knocked down discount decorator furniture. Those get purged to keep your visits to the site entertaining and productive.

I'm not here for a popularity contest. I like Land Rovers. I like to help where I can. None of us knows it all. And no one knows more than all of us together.
I personally think moderators should hang on as long as they have the time and the ability to remain mature and respectful of everyone. Perhaps there is a point where some folks just need to take a break and regain some perspective.

Seems unreasonable to expect moderators to police every post. You also need to have the time to contribute and enjoy the community with the rest of us.

Does this forum platform support any sort of automated filtering/flagging?

I support welcoming more women and keeping the tone of posts respectful to them. However, I would not want this to end up a place where we are all fearful of accidentally offending someone. Not sure how to achieve the perfect balance. It's up to each of us to know what is appropriate and what crosses the line.

Lastly, we are all here (or we should be) to share a common interest in Land Rovers, help each other out, and have some fun. Sometimes egos get in the way and we lose sight of the common bond we share for these awesome vehicles.

My 2 cents.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Cosmic, I agree on the not deleting threads, if it's that out of hand lock it but leave it sometimes a lot of things folks need to know or should know come out in those threads.

I can say I did not delete the thread as it was gone before I had mod status. Deleting threads I have found just leads to more threads about the deleted threads and more issues than leaving it be would have created.

Sexual harassment type posts, there has to be a line in the sand, but I don't expect church rules either lol Honestly use your best judgement we all know the difference between the forums we frequent. Like I said if something is way off the reservation I'd give a warning in a pm and ask you to clean it up.

I don't think Buzz or I have the desire or time to read every post on this place. If something is far out in left field use the report post and we'll look into it. You guys are just as much in charge of the place as we are.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

I know the forum software automatically filters cuss words but that is about it, that I know of. That is why you see **** where you know something else should be.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Bill, for the love of God please change the filter so I can type b-a-r-b-e-d without it getting censored.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

No

I honestly have no idea how it works just know it's there....

Old 01-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

bill is a mod? this place is really going to hell in a handbasket

Old 01-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

I know right....

Old 01-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick Reply: Seriously?