Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Welp, I too cancelled the order...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 03:05 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Moretti
Determining ones own morality and making decisions based on their own subjective ethical principals is not something that posses an accusatory nature or is judgmental, even if that is something that goes against the popular thought.

Your two examples paint essentially the same point (they found a reason to buy a different vehicle) but you have categorized them separately to fit your narrative that one is critical of your decision (which I dont see where the OP stated others should abandon their ICE vehicles as well?).
I think Moretti is the voice of reason here. Ethics are not only subjective but exist on a spectrum. And OP is trying to be a conscientious buyer, which is something we should all do. I didn't feel like he was condemning me because I purchased a Defender, he was just stating his position.

I think factory farming is unethical in a lot of ways and I don't really like supporting it with my dollars....But damn do I love steak.

The following 3 users liked this post by Nick4:
Brandon318 (08-24-2021), Ian95rrc (08-24-2021), Moretti (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 03:28 PM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
Now that I'm working from home and driving less, we considered replacing our LR4 with an Audi e-tron. But I'm that person that would repeatedly forget to plug it in and have it run out of power, probably when my wife is driving it. Don't care about mpg anymore either. So we're probably going with an X5 M50i with a twin turbo V8. Covid showed us that life can be shorter than we expected and I'm not driving a boring transportation appliance.
Yep, this is one of our concerns as well--I'm bound to forget to plug the bloody car in when my wife has to go to court the following morning... Right now she is looking at replacing her Velar. She works in uptown Dallas and has a 3 mile commute to office so EVs and mild hybrids were thought to be ideal. i_pace drove well and had nice interior, but range not good enough. Model 3 drives well but looks and feels like it came from Ikea in a flatpack and was put together by a klutz. Telsa have done a brilliant job with their range of EVs and the charging station infrastructure--all credit to them, but their quality control is absolutely atrocious. The Merc EQS looks promising, but way over the top on tech and I'm not sure when it will be available. Hybrids seem like an afterthought. We both came to the conclusion EVs are not ready for prime time just yet, if ever. I agree with many of the concerns mentioned in this thread. I personally think the world is moving in the wrong direction with battery power. Having witnessed a laptop battery spontaneously combust (you really do not want to be near one when it does), I really have a hard time feeling comfortable about this kind of energy storage under your car seat. And as already mentioned EVs just lack soul.

Anyway, all that being said, I think my wife just ordered a 2022 F-Type P450 judging by the text she sent me a few moments ago. So definitely no EV for us.

Old 08-24-2021, 03:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMoke
Having witnessed a laptop battery spontaneously combust (you really do not want to be near one when it does...
Had a Sony laptop with a battery that started hissing. Tried to pop it out but it was bulging, stuck, and very hot. No choice but to toss the laptop in the pool. Try that with a sedan.

Old 08-24-2021, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Had a Sony laptop with a battery that started hissing. Tried to pop it out but it was bulging, stuck, and very hot. No choice but to toss the laptop in the pool. Try that with a sedan.

Been done with a coupe at least

The following users liked this post:
_Allegedly (08-24-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 11:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 209 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Reality is some time adverse

Originally Posted by Brandon318
After so many delays and the latest round of feature cancellations, we had a lot of time to think, and sort of felt this weird conviction. Like, with all the climate issues, it sort of felt weird to bring into existence a new car that wasn't an EV. Ended up ordering a Tesla and cancelling the Defender. However stoked I am about the Tesla, it's offset by being super bummed about the Defender. But gosh... I don't know... did you guys go through that decision matrix at all? EV vs Defender? I know they're like polar opposite ends of the enthusiast spectrum. I'll keep maintaining and loving our Discos as long as there's gas to drive them, but I think we sort of landed at those Discos being the last ICE cars we purchase.
Check this out: https://www.electriciancourses4u.co....electric-cars/
And ICE will not go away anytime soon. Do that, and you will have a societal collapse. Fast.
EV is an interim step in the evolution of vehicles. It is not the answer I think. Not enough minerals on the planet to supply the demand of batteries.
Time will tell. Having a "set" year does not make it realistic or make it happen.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:26 AM
Winching
Received 245 Likes on 173 Posts

This post appears to have derailed into off topic material...hah