Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

What did you guys get for Christmas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I restore & repair cars for fun.
I'm an expert in the design of electronic systems, including engine control systems, and designed one of the first scan tools for GM.
I've restored a half dozen British cars including two 1980s Jaguars, whose electrical systems didn't look much different than that of the Discovery.
I've already done the rework to fit A Kenwood double DIN navigation unit, a regular Gentex auto dim mirror with compass and temperature sensor, automatic headlight controls and replaced the Theft alarm unit with a Viper 350 system, although there's a bit of work to be done on that last.
I've been working on setting up systems to talk to the ABS & SRS systems & clear codes without having to go to a dealer. I've already had some success with both.
I plan to evaluate replacements for the VSS.
That's not including the little mechanical things I've been working on.

For me, the truck is a 4th vehicle (5th when the TR6 is done).
It's primarily a hobby. I love to tinker.
Even if it never runs correctly (and it does), I'll never be sorry I got it.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Gprtech,

How about thinking about an easy way to force the ECU to reset adaptive values?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

George. . .ah the discovery is why you're on the forum I thought you would invite us to a BBQ :-) im glad it was one of your best Christmases.
Ed, seems like you got a lot of things. Well guess I got a new yoga mat, clothes, nightmare b4 Christmas slippers, and gift cards. :-D

Last edited by LRchick; 01-14-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

duul use - lay on yoga mat while draining transfer case...

Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gprtech
I restore & repair cars for fun.
I'm an expert in the design of electronic systems, including engine control systems, and designed one of the first scan tools for GM.
I've restored a half dozen British cars including two 1980s Jaguars, whose electrical systems didn't look much different than that of the Discovery.
I've already done the rework to fit A Kenwood double DIN navigation unit, a regular Gentex auto dim mirror with compass and temperature sensor, automatic headlight controls and replaced the Theft alarm unit with a Viper 350 system, although there's a bit of work to be done on that last.
I've been working on setting up systems to talk to the ABS & SRS systems & clear codes without having to go to a dealer. I've already had some success with both.
I plan to evaluate replacements for the VSS.
That's not including the little mechanical things I've been working on.

For me, the truck is a 4th vehicle (5th when the TR6 is done).
It's primarily a hobby. I love to tinker.
Even if it never runs correctly (and it does), I'll never be sorry I got it.
sounds cool. want to come along with our club so you can help fix our electronics when we throw our trucks in lakes. cuz we don't know ****. i do have an abs amigo though and ***** of steel

Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Ed, you didn't get the water wings I sent you?

i didnt. please resend. i will need them because the range is heading to Rausch in May and she told me she is thirsty for revenge of her sister

Old 01-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

make sure to relocate your ecu, trust me even in the rangies they don't like lots of water.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Rock Crawling

If you want to throw your trucks in lakes, I'll help you pull out the electronics and go back to carbs.

I read the British military buys their Land Rovers without electronics because they know the won't stand up otherwise.

And while I won't be coming up with anything to make them stand up to water better, I may come up with ways to fix them easier & cheaper.

As far as resetting the adaptive values, I hadn't really looked at anything related to the ECU yet, but when I can get my hand on one I will. I bought used good ABS & SRS modules off of ebay for my experiments. Although the Disco is a hobby, I have more fun with my hobbies when they're useful and no desire to damage anything that's working. :-)

Old 01-11-2013, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by gprtech
If you want to throw your trucks in lakes, I'll help you pull out the electronics and go back to carbs.

I read the British military buys their Land Rovers without electronics because they know the won't stand up otherwise.

And while I won't be coming up with anything to make them stand up to water better, I may come up with ways to fix them easier & cheaper.

As far as resetting the adaptive values, I hadn't really looked at anything related to the ECU yet, but when I can get my hand on one I will. I bought used good ABS & SRS modules off of ebay for my experiments. Although the Disco is a hobby, I have more fun with my hobbies when they're useful and no desire to damage anything that's working. :-)
well when you have all your disco hobby ready you should come join us at Rausch Creek for our Annual event. Next weekend we are heading to south jersey to the pines.

PS im originally from middletown.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Rock Crawling

I'm originally from Kearny, NJ.

I'm looking forward to getting it dirty.

Quick Reply: What did you guys get for Christmas?