Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

What are you guys listening to today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 03:18 AM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi KernowDiscovery, some days I like mellow music and others more lively. I'm actually a fan of modern jazz mostly but many others dislike it.

The James Taylor song is one of the greats in my book also.

It's strange but music doesn't raise too many thoughts or emotions in me, I suppose I'm a 'bit of a cold fish' emotionally.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hi KernowDiscovery, some days I like mellow music and others more lively. I'm actually a fan of modern jazz mostly but many others dislike it.

The James Taylor song is one of the greats in my book also.

It's strange but music doesn't raise too many thoughts or emotions in me, I suppose I'm a 'bit of a cold fish' emotionally.

Hi France - hm.. cold, atheist, what else can I add to my list of Offroad characteristics?
I find it interesting that you started this thread but you state that music doesn’t move you emotionally. You certainly DO like your music, so what is it about music that you like?

Music is everything to me. I sing in the car all day long and a certain song playing on the radio can shift my mood in a heartbeat. My husband calls me a softie (baby) but that’s ok, he’s an atheist as well and doesn’t connect with lyrics. Sometimes I have to spell it out for him. ‘THIS song is about… ‘

Heard this little diddy on the radio this morning as I was driving into work. Catchy little tune with a new style I adore. Lyrics aren’t so bad either – although I wouldn’t ever want to be thought of as ‘chasing’ someone and playing a game

Girls chase boys by Ingrid Michaelson:

'I'm a little let down but I'm not dead'..

...and the slightly pervy version:

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 04-16-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery

Hi France - hm.. cold, atheist, what else can I add to my list of Offroad characteristics?
I find it interesting that you started this thread but you state that music doesn’t move you emotionally. You certainly DO like your music, so what is it about music that you like?

Music is everything to me. I sing in the car all day long and a certain song playing on the radio can shift my mood in a heartbeat. My husband calls me a softie (baby) but that’s ok, he’s an atheist as well and doesn’t connect with lyrics. Sometimes I have to spell it out for him. ‘THIS song is about… ‘

Heard this little diddy on the radio this morning as I was driving into work. Catchy little tune with a new style I adore. Lyrics aren’t so bad either – although I wouldn’t ever want to be thought of as ‘chasing’ someone and playing a game

Girls chase boys by Ingrid Michaelson:
Ingrid Michaelson "Girls Chase Boys" 04/09/14 - YouTube

'I'm a little let down but I'm not dead'..

...and the slightly pervy version:

Ingrid Michaelson - Girls Chase Boys (An Homage to Robert Palmer's "Simply Irresistible") - OFFICIAL - YouTube
Hi KD, a few more traits to add - arrogant, edgy, obstinate, emotionally cold, unemotional, unromantic, bad tempered (sometimes), terrible at interpreting lyrics and songs, my wife likens me to this guy.......Victor Meldrew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) ................

I'm very practical in my life I suppose as being a professional engineer all of my life I only see things in 'black and white' and continually search for reasons and answers to everything, I can never take things at face value and always ask and wonder 'why'. I thrive on problems and solving them whether theoretical, mathematical or practical, I never like to be beaten by anything or anyone - 'second place is the first of the losers'.

But I do enjoy certain music................it's my soporific calming pill or placebo.

You ain't gonna believe this but I used to play modern jazz on a trumpet in combos at a semi pro level (I got paid to play) in many UK clubs and particularly in London.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hi KD, a few more traits to add - arrogant, edgy, obstinate, emotionally cold, unemotional, unromantic, bad tempered (sometimes), terrible at interpreting lyrics and songs, my wife likens me to this guy.......Victor Meldrew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) ................

I'm very practical in my life I suppose as being a professional engineer all of my life I only see things in 'black and white' and continually search for reasons and answers to everything, I can never take things at face value and always ask and wonder 'why'. I thrive on problems and solving them whether theoretical, mathematical or practical, I never like to be beaten by anything or anyone - 'second place is the first of the losers'.

But I do enjoy certain music................it's my soporific calming pill or placebo.

You ain't gonna believe this but I used to play modern jazz on a trumpet in combos at a semi pro level (I got paid to play) in many UK clubs and particularly in London.

A real charmer for sure!! And I'm sorry France but I'm not buying into the engineer bit. You know that I'm a professional engineer too and I have a soul hahaha.. just teasing you..

Like you, 'why' is my favorite question, I typically trust no one (unfortunately) and double check, triple check other people's work, question everything and I don't like being beaten by anyone either, unless it's in my interest to be Many people may not think of me as competitive as I'm fairly quiet and reserved but I'm very competitive to a point unless I get pissed off and then I throw my hands up in the air and say 'you take care of it....I'm done'.

And I did read that you used to play in London and around the UK - that's so cool! See, not so black and white after all as being creative takes some gray

Listening to Neon trees today - more girls and boys Unfortunately they don't have a video for this - strange!

and their newest - I like it a lot!

KD

Old 04-18-2014, 10:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Listening to this at a traffic light. Got a scowl by the old lady next to me.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Baja

Hi KD, As the expression I was taught as a child "never trust anyone until they prove otherwise" and that holds good in all walks of life..............people one works with, vendors of vehicles or anything, real estate agents, bankers and insurance brokers, lawyers and especially politicians (ability in lying is their main qualification for their career ) As one gets older and more cynical you adopt a sixth sense to know who is kosher and who isn't..............one of the very few benefits of growing old.....

Old 04-21-2014, 11:59 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I not interested in taps and knocks just the age old activities !
here's Eliades Ochoa from the Buena Vista Social Club de Cuba.

But if you are not into cartoons here the real thing--The masters (Los Maestros del Ritmo)

Plus views of "mouldering" Habana!
T/V

Old 04-26-2014, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

At Alice in chains ( the new assembly) concert, right now

Old 04-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
At Alice in chains ( the new assembly) concert, right now
I saw them in 2010 in Connecticut, they were absolutely fantastic. I appreciated how they changed their sound to adapt to the loss of Layne.

Anyways....

Old 04-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Baja

Like ScreamingLife, much better than some others but our tastes differ. Don't do the vids though, mostly hate music associated vids unless they have specific artistic merit. Maybe it's me but songs and music MUST stand alone without any visuals. Live on stage is good - no hiding place and computer electronic wizardry.

Quick Reply: What are you guys listening to today?