Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

What are you guys listening to today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 04:25 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
lol.. 'enigma' - am I really that hard to understand?.... sigh...

Don't get me wrong France, I have nothing against Elgar - we listen to a LOT of British themed music in our house..Sunday morning podcasts of church music, marches, the Queen speaking on occasion (no not me ) I think my husband is home-sick - he needs a trip back to his homeland before we both go crazy... lol. I hate to say this but I've always had somewhat of a 'dislike' for marches. Probably because I grew up as a classical violinist and the 'band geeks' always thought they were better than the 'orchestra nerds' and I was their leader... I really should start to play again - I miss it...
OK, so you may like these versions better, I do. Jackie du Pre was my cousin and was a very wild person but a brilliant cellist

Elgar - His Music : Cello Concerto - Jacqueline du Pré: The concerto's consummate interpreter?

or this

Old 03-05-2014, 09:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Very impressive!! I have to say that you've lived an exciting and dynamic life full of diversity and culture France. The orchestra was lovely too.. and you're right, a better version of Elgar.

Tonight I'm going back to the eighties.. one of my favorite bands of that decade. Duran Duran's 'Hungry Like the Wolf'

Old 03-05-2014, 11:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 03-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by ScreamingLife
Brilliant ScreamingLife, reminds me of the good ole days in the late 70's. Was working on the Chevron Ninian Platform when this was released and played it on the car tapedeck

Story: When we were working in Scotland I used to live in a house 20 miles from the fabrication yard and used to drive past a beaten up trailer home parked in a layby in the mountains. There was always a queue of guys (the 'bears' - the fitter welders and concreting crews) outside this trailer and I learned the place was nicknamed 'Hotel California'. It was run by 'ladies of ill repute', hookers in your terminology. So this record now brings to mind this trailer in the remote highlands of Scotland.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Very impressive!! I have to say that you've lived an exciting and dynamic life full of diversity and culture France. The orchestra was lovely too.. and you're right, a better version of Elgar.

Tonight I'm going back to the eighties.. one of my favorite bands of that decade. Duran Duran's 'Hungry Like the Wolf'

Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf - YouTube
As much as I like that record, KernowDiscovery, I'm afraid I have to admit that Duran Duran passed me by in that time of my life as I was working away quite a lot around europe and had lost touch with the music world. I recollect my daughter talking about them as she talked about many pop groups but I tended to go selectively 'deaf' sometimes .

I'll never forget when she bought (correction - my wife bought her) the Bay City Rollers album, if you could call it that, if it was played once it was played a thousand times............so much so I really personally 'hated' them for disrupting my life. Although today I like some of the Police recordings and latterly Sting, it was the same scenario with them as well. The words 'flogging a dead horse' came to mind. Now I can play what I really like in blissful isolation from anyone and everyone and so can the wife.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

...that's the beauty of retirement and having your kids out of the house I'm a big 80's fan - probably because I grew up in them and loved my MTV!

Duran Duran, U2, Simply Red, Howard Jones... Although Howard Jones makes me a little sad - I pull him out when I'm feeling a little melancholy..

Glad we moved on from the 'hooker' talk lol...

Old 03-06-2014, 11:40 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Story: When we were working in Scotland I used to live in a house 20 miles from the fabrication yard and used to drive past a beaten up trailer home parked in a layby in the mountains. There was always a queue of guys (the 'bears' - the fitter welders and concreting crews) outside this trailer and I learned the place was nicknamed 'Hotel California'. It was run by 'ladies of ill repute', hookers in your terminology. So this record now brings to mind this trailer in the remote highlands of Scotland.
Ha, Sounds like some of my travels as a sailor! I only posted it because it was on the radio on the way home!

Old 03-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Old 03-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm dedicating this one to OffroadFrance who apparently is having an awful weekend of it with his DII. And Screaminglife - I'm including the dark version of this song for you... (2nd link). Where are you guys?...I miss you!!!

Old 03-15-2014, 03:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Quick Reply: What are you guys listening to today?