Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

What's in your Toolbox?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What's in your Toolbox?

I'm trying to put together a good set of tools to carry in our D2. My wife and I will be living from our D2 starting in July, and I want to make sure that I have the most common items on us.

Since we're limited on space I'm trying to get a good list of the needed items so we don't have to carry complete sets. We plan on carrying wrenches, sockets, allen keys, multi-meter, electrical tools, and screw drivers. Is there anything that I'm missing? Any specific sizes? A certain size drive for sockets (1/4", 3/8", 1/2")?

Thank you in advance for your help on this!

Mike

Last edited by Mstudt; 04-10-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:34 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Really the only 2 things you will need!

Old 04-10-2017, 02:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by OverRover
Really the only 2 things you will need!
Not exactly what I'm looking.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

I'm assuming you'll be driving cross country or something?

If so, I'd throw a tire plug kit in and add a small compressor to the mix, good ballpeen hammer, pliers, side cutters, vice-grips (couple sizes), plastic zip ties, duct tape, electrical tape, WD40, impact deep and shallow six point sockets (with an adapter from 1/2 to 3/8's), tow strap, jumper cables and mechanic gloves.

Happy trails to you.

Brian.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by The Deputy
I'm assuming you'll be driving cross country or something?

If so, I'd throw a tire plug kit in and add a small compressor to the mix, good ballpeen hammer, pliers, side cutters, vice-grips (couple sizes), plastic zip ties, duct tape, electrical tape, WD40, impact deep and shallow six point sockets (with an adapter from 1/2 to 3/8's), tow strap, jumper cables and mechanic gloves.

Happy trails to you.

Brian.
We'll be driving around the country for a couple years, but mostly west of Colorado.

At this point we have a good tire plug kit, compressor, and necessary compressor attachments. We also have jumper cables, gloves, straps, traction boards, and a full recovery bag.

I plan on having wire cutters, crimpers, tape, heat shrink, zip ties, and various crimp connectors. I'm a little uncertain about which drive sockets to have (1/4", 3/8", 1/2"). Which ever I go with I do plan on having 6 point deep, and shallows to go with them. I'm really trying to find out if there are any specific sizes that are a must, or should I just plan on carrying a full set?

Old 04-10-2017, 07:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Invest in a good jack too.. the ones that come with our Rovers are too short and junk. Happy trails!

Old 04-10-2017, 07:43 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by landlover_1
Invest in a good jack too.. the ones that come with our Rovers are too short and junk. Happy trails!
That's a good call! I do have a 6 ton bottle jack in my 4runner that I can bring. I just need to make sure it's short enough to fit under the axles.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

I'd go with 3/8's impact, deep and shallow, 6-point sockets. They will handle the extra torque, if you have to go with a 1/2 drive ratchet and adapter. But, you will most definitely need a small set of 1/4 drive stuff. Mainly for hose clamps and plastic body panels that are arranged everywhere under the hood and fender wells.

Also, if you plan on loading this thing for bear...start lubing your headlight adjusters...now. Because, you will be adjusting them to compensate for weight gain in the rear...and most likely...they are froze up.

Brian.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

Add a couple of flashlights. I buy the $2 mini lights at Menards as they are really bright, run off a AA battery and last long. But being small, it is easy to misplace them.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...d-rover-57345/

Old 04-11-2017, 10:25 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by jimvw57
Add a couple of flashlights. I buy the $2 mini lights at Menards as they are really bright, run off a AA battery and last long. But being small, it is easy to misplace them.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...d-rover-57345/
Thank you for this link.

We do have a Maglite already. We'll also have 4 headlamps with us too.

Quick Reply: What's in your Toolbox?