Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Where in the world is Disco Mike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

All,

I am disappointed in the vitriol shown in most of the responses to my question reviving this thread a couple of weeks ago.

I would like the first person responding negatively to this post to be perfect in every way.

Waiting ...

None? Okay, let's get on with it then.

I understand that Disco Mike has been the butt of many jokes here and on other forums but he has also been unfailingly generous with his time and expertise. For all his confrontations and errors, of which there are more than a few, he has contributed more to this and other LR forums than most if not all the rest of us have or will (Savannah Buzz and Spike possibly excepted, and BTW where have they been lately?).

I too found Mike to be in error at least once and I pointed out his error to him, politely. I was not threatened with banishment.

Mike, like I and like most of you I expect, is human. I hope he is healthy and well.

Best regards and Happy New Year.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Nobody is perfect on here, but when I'm wrong, I'll accept/admit it and not get angry and threaten to ban the person that proves it. That's the difference.

Edit- and if you want Spike to be on here, maybe you shouldn't be so kind to Disco Mike, as he's the reason Spike isn't here any longer.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:05 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, that is not nice. Mike has done his best and has helped out many. His dry replies were caused by the laziness of some forum members to do their homework first, before posting a question that has been addressed a zillion times before.

The DII from a technology perspective is a dinosaur. The engine design is 60 years old, the tranny is an old ZF. So with that said, the problems occuring in this layout are relatively simple and pale when compared to real problems; Let's say with SCN coding on a 722.9 MB box or drive authorization reprogramming on 2001 and on MB of any kind.

So for all of us, let's do our homework first before plastering a question on this forum that has been covered before.

Nevertheless, life is good in a discovery and i wouldn't give it up for any LR3.

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
I don't know... DM was knowledgeable on some LR Discovery things, maybe not so much on other issues. Mostly I felt he just didn't use the right approach when responding, especially an innocent question from a newbie. Afterall one of the main reasons for forums like this is to help others and learn from each other.

I recall quite a few simple requests for help that were answered by DM with a "Why did you buy this car if you aren't interested in studying the manual?" or "Forget about that problem! Have you done the 60K tune up? Replaced your front drive shaft? Come back when you have completed those tasks!!!!"

In a way he reminds me of the professor in the Wizard of OZ who stands behind the curtains bellowing orders and scaring Dorothy and the others and later responds as the hot air balloon suddenly takes off with "This is highly irregular, sorry but I don't know how this thing works!"

Perhaps he is like Scrooge and has seen the error of his ways and is out making merry! Anyway, Merry Christmas Disco Mike where ever you are!

Old 01-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by unimoged
Guys, that is not nice. Mike has done his best and has helped out many. His dry replies were caused by the laziness of some forum members to do their homework first, before posting a question that has been addressed a zillion times before.

The DII from a technology perspective is a dinosaur. The engine design is 60 years old, the tranny is an old ZF. So with that said, the problems occuring in this layout are relatively simple and pale when compared to real problems; Let's say with SCN coding on a 722.9 MB box or drive authorization reprogramming on 2001 and on MB of any kind.

So for all of us, let's do our homework first before plastering a question on this forum that has been covered before.

Nevertheless, life is good in a discovery and i wouldn't give it up for any LR3.
Sorry you felt I was bashing DM in my comment, none was intended. I like DM and have gotten valuable tips from him but one can not deny that he was outright rude to many newbie members to our forum. Yes, searches should be undertaken but in any search you will get many posts that have no similarity to the problem being searched because of words that may have been used and the forum software picks up on.

And sometimes a search brings up different suggestions for fixing the problem so a new question may be warranted. There is noting wrong with answering a question again or pointing the OP to a previous thread but it serves no purpose to put inexperienced members down or be rude.

I stand by my previous comment.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:08 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Many searches would bring you to a thread that ended with "call me and I'll walk you thru it" ....and that was it! No follow up, no end result, so the newbee had no choice but to post the "dumb question". Happy New Year to all(DiscoMike included!).

The following users liked this post:
Racer X (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

Guy is a bully and of the worst sort.

Don't shed a tear over that spike dude either. But maybe it's not his fault, it's probably hard to see things from another prospective if you can't see over the steering wheel.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:43 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

For my 2 cents worth I would state I do hate witch hunts. If anyone has a real beef with someone maybe they should PM them and sort it out not splash it across a forum for everyone to jump on the bandwagon and berate them in some cases, I'm sure, without good cause. I don't know DM and have never dealt with him but I certainly wouldn't join this piranha feeding frenzy. Maybe some of the inane repetitive questions should be thought about more carefully and a forum search done with some considered research before posting yet another dumb question that has been done to death multiple times recently. Yep, it does get pretty monotonous reading the same old questions and answers time and time again. The forum has lost some really helpful and great people even since I've been posting and it's hardly surprising when you watch others behaving like playground kids tearing into one member. Maybe time to grow up and stand alone and if anyone has a real beef then use the PM facility instead as no-one is perfect in this world. Rant over

The following 2 users liked this post by OffroadFrance:
SDinDS (01-04-2015), stb616 (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 05:46 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Since the children can't play nice, why don't we delete or at least lock this thread. It has nothing to do with Disco's and serves no purpose.

Last edited by stb616; 01-03-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by stb616
Since the children can't play nice, why don't we delete or at least lock this thread. It has nothing to do with Disco's and serves no purpose.
X1 Agreed.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Or make it a sticky.
Joking, but really it should be off topic.

Quick Reply: Where in the world is Disco Mike?