Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Xenon Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon Upgrade

does anyone know of a xenon upgrade for a 2003 discovery II, just the bulbs not the round orb things. ive looked and there are loads but i want some which look like the proper xenon with a higher light output and the subtle blue glow, any help apprieciated thanks

Old 03-13-2007, 02:25 AM
Overlanding
Default RE: Xenon Upgrade

Hey i have done this a couple times on my 99 d2 but i dont imagine it being too different on the 03.

i got mine from visionbulbs.com.

though be careful. i think you use an H7 bulb which is hi-lo beam in one. when buying a conversion kit, make sure you get a hi-lo kit or they will shut off when you switch to brights. my bulbs came in a metal housing that would snap back magnetically when you switch to brights, changing the angle of the beam.

if you want blue go for 8000k. i had those at first. very bright to look at but left a little to be desired as far as lighting ones way. made all the lane markers and road signs light up very bright while leaving other things in the blue haze. kind of a black-light effect.
6000k is more of a blue-white. haven't used though.
i now use 4300k which provides the best lighting for the road. these are more of a white with an ever so tiny hint of yellow. but again, more lumens = brighter light

hope this helps!

Old 03-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Rock Crawling

hey thanks for the response, so your saying i should go for the full HID conversion rather than just the bulbs ?

Old 03-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Overlanding

Well unless the 03 comes prewired for HID lights, you will have to get a complete kits with ballasts and all. the HID bulbs may work on your stock harness but they are designed for more power which you wont get straight from the wire, and they will burn out.

On mine i had to plug my stock harness into a switch that detects when you toggle high/low beams. wires from that go to the ballasts and battery, and then to the HID bulb.

then you switch your headlight fuses from 10A to 20A(in my case). then just turn them on and let them burn in for 10 minutes and you're all set.

it may be different in your case but not by much. and a good set will give you instructions. while i got mine from visionbulbs(cheaper), if you want the best, look for phillips ballasts. the kit may end up costing twice as much but those are the best that i know of.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:10 AM
Rock Crawling

hey thanks very much for the response, ill see wat there is and give some more feedback if i find any i decide to go with

Old 04-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Overlanding

Tris and Randy lover, what kit did you buy from visionbulbs.com for your 99 disco? I too have a 03 disco, and want to do the upgrade immediately. You think we have to install a Bi-Xenon kit in the 03 disco (H7 bulb)? I dont think the H7 bulb would require a bi-xenon kit, when I switch to high-beams on my disco the lo-beams stay on. Any suggestions with who to buy from, and what kit to buy would be great.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Overlanding

I bought the H4 hi/lo kit.

If your low beams stay on when you switch to high, then you are fine with a regular kit. But you wont have high beams. In my case, it would switch to a different filament. So when i switch to high beams where there was no connection, the lights would just go out until i switched back to lows. that was with my previous setup.

now its all the same bulb, but they are in a housing that redirects the light when you toggle hi/lo.

on the visionbulbs website i dont see an option for a bi-xenon kit in the H7. Im at work at the moment and cant give you any references but ones i have time ill post anything i find as far as where to buy.

-Tris