Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Your dream defender?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 12:13 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your dream defender?

Hey guys - wanted to share with you my dream wish list for the 2018 defender (will they even do a 2018 version?)

So my philosophy will be smth like this:
- square
- look even older than it looked so far - latest versions look more like a wrangler - too muscular and not so cool.
So on the looks - I would take an older version of defender and improve just a little bit on it like improve visibility, ergonomics - but keep the looks are perfect
- modular - I would have 3 length versions all with extendable trunk - so 6 in total. Will cover this below.
- light. (I would rather this be lighter - use for the structure a light rollcage and fiberglass.)
- small electric engine should be optional - 50bhp not more just to improve acceleration and fuel consumption in city. (I would buy this one)
- should be aimed at traditional markets - africa etc where is good overlander (because is long) but also to the european city/forest offroad market - trough shorter version with 4doors and removable trunk (see below)
- should have a kit for treversing rivers - should have a 3 inflatable tubes that attach to the sides and make it go over rivers
- optional 3 way locker - this is a must.
- big wheels - a bit bigger than current ones.
- interior - improved ergonomics not looks. So improved seating, sound insulation, accesibility etc. No entertainment bs.
- no electronic stuff. or optional packege for the electronic stuff. or a button to disable all electronics.
- modular tires (see below)
- air compressor optional
- shower - optional. I would buy this. So it should be some water containers under the car which get heated either by the hot gas exiting or by electrical means if urgent and there hsould be a hose outside the car - so you open a pan on the exterior and take a shower.
- the air intake should be on top of the car trough the B pillar (or both b pillars - so 2 air intakes on top of the car) (I would love this)

Ok so biggest thing maybe should be the removable trunk and 3 length versions. This is because we want to use this car in city, forest or overland. So we have many lenth requirements here. For the city we dont need a huge trunk but when we go outside city in a longer trip we need the trunk.
- so shortest version should be the 3D at 3.9m.
- then we should have a short version in 5 doors. that is if you move the back wheel all the way to the back of the car and have the seats between the wheels like the 3D version we should have a very short version at maybe 4.0 - 4.1m. We can just make a very small door - which will be a huge success over the 3D version but still with the short length.
I think this will be the biggest success.
- the big one - where the second row of seats stays outside the rear wheels and we have a regular door. - this should be at around 4.3m ideally.
In all those versions the rear wheel should be as close to the end of hte vehicle as possible - so no trunk extending in the back of the car further than the wheel.

And here comes the extensible trunk part.
On all the above version we should be able to take the frame that holds the door and insert a spacer - a new car component (the enlarged trunk) then put the door frame on the new component.
Is this doable technically?
I think it should be. So if we make the door and its frame as light as possible - using carbon fiber, light metal tubes and fiberglass - we should have a very light component easy to remove.
To secure it safe it should have multiple iron rods and pipes entering from the car into the door frame and the other way and all this should be lockable like in a door form just a few handles.
The removable trunk part section should be similary light and its windows should be same colour like the previous section - a dark window so the point where the car and the new trunk should not be visible (from a distance).
Maybe have multiple trunk extension lengths? One 30 cm should be the standard one I think.

If Land Rover will do this - it will be the most amazing car in the world and it will answer to all the possible necesities.
I need a short 4doors version (as I use it in city and dense forests) with big wheels and extensible trunk for when going cmaping.

Also the extendable trunk should be good for when you go camping and then you arrive at the cmaping place and want to transform your car into a sporty one - just remove the trunk extension.

On the modular tires.
The wheels should have a system where you can add an exterior tire layer bust with a few clicks. It could be a curvature on the inside and outside or smth else. The idea is that you can use your street tires to go to places then when you arrive at the offroad you just put those socks with offroad model and youre good.
Those socks shoudl be like half the lenght of the tire and you clip them in place then rotate the wheel half a turn and put the other half. So you will have 8 such things.

Again - this will make the defender the best offroad in the world by far.

I have other ideas too but might bee too much so what od you guys think so far?

Or what is your dream defender?

Do you want a modern look? Or a traditional one? This is one of my concerns that they will screw it making a modern looking car - loosing al its space inside by making it rounder or by loosing its visibility my making "beautiful" big pillars or other artificial design related solutions.