Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

zombie apocalypse

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

My pal from Blackwater said they always carried $1500 - $2000 cash in country, never knew when you might have to bribe your way out.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't gold or silver be better? Because if the gov breaks down, that $1500 cash is not even worth lol its weight in $%@t paper!

Old 09-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

guns, ammo, toilet paper, bottled water, oil, hydrogen peroxide - all good barter items. I'm also taking two cats - "Shady", who fearlessly guards the shade tree against parts vultures, and Tiger Cat, who can make paths for Rovers, and if needed put the "squeeze" on a zombie before making them into zombie steaks. At the final stand, we can build a really big bon fire.

I borrowed it for the weekend to eliminate a competitor, I'm gonna sneak down there and swipe his tree, put that low ballin' creep outa business....

Attached Thumbnails zombie apocalypse-p1120256.jpg   zombie apocalypse-p1120252.jpg   zombie apocalypse-p1120250.jpg  
Old 09-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok Savannah, I am really digging the Tiger Cat for a Zombie apocalypse. Lol.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by atancreti
Wouldn't gold or silver be better? Because if the gov breaks down, that $1500 cash is not even worth lol its weight in $%@t paper!
No for several reasons.
1-the Gov will never become so dysfunctional that green backs wont work.
2-how in the hell are you going to carry $1500 in coin?
3-how are you going to "break" a gold coin? I can get change for a $20.
4-no one who is anyone will not know how much a silver or gold coin is actually worth, yes its flashy, but whats it really worth? You KNOW what a $50 bill is worth, it says so right on it. You cant call the gold exchange for the current rate.

I am talking about natural and man made disasters, like a severe blizzard, epic flood, drought or huge terrorist attack with a invading force.
Our Fed. Gov. will never not work in some form or another but you may find yourself stuck with no food, water or fuel and you need to survive while you wait for rescue.
You can buy, beg, borrow or steal your supplies if you have enough cash, know how and know where these things are as well as have a "safe" zone within one tank's worth of driving distance.
A safe zone is no good if you cant get there because you ran out of fuel or you broke down, so keep your truck in good working order at all times.
And if you keep the gas tank at 3/4 or above and you have fuel stored in your garage you can make your safe zone.
I can drive cross country the whole way to my safe zone if need be.
Have maps too, GPS may not work.
Also set up a evacuation plan with your family so if something happens while you are at work you have a meeting place that is preferably open 24hrs in case this happens in the middle of the night.
If you come home from work and your house is underwater you need to know where your wife and kids are going to be, have a back up meeting place too.
Try to make the meeting places all within walking distance, so no more then 5 miles away.
Having a ax and a gas powered chain saw and knowing how to use them would also be helpful.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

I worked in Hugo and Andrew, and was part of the three million that evacuated for Floyd. People ran out of gas or broke down on the interstate, all gas stations were out of gas and supplies could not reach them. Hotel rooms were available once you drove from Savannah to Chattanooga, or Birmingham. In the future, I'll take several ice chests, loaded with food/beverages, you can drink the water later or use for truck. Won't be much ice on the way. Take your own paper towels and toilet paper. I'll go back roads, the interstates are always jammed. If no Rover grade roof rack, one of those plug in the trailer hitch ones would allow you to carry several gas containers outside the vehicle. A small inverter and a plug strip allow multiple phones/radios/cameras/GPS/flashlights to be recharged enroute. In the hurricane area, the roofs blew off and filled streets with roofing tacks, people had 4 flat tires. Tire plug kit and air pump a must, flat fix. Extra oil, and a bottle of stop leak just in case. Extra belt and hoses., oil filter. Bolt cutters, saw for trees, ****** strap to pull others out of the way (trees or cars). The teams I sent to Katrina had to hotel in Mobile and commute to NOLA, good thing they had a Suburban and 42 gallon tank, very little gas. In NOLA, one diner had their generator running, fuel by National Guard (1 cheeseburger = five gallons diesel), who were tired of MRE's. AT&T disaster plans kick in, and they stop almost all inbound phone traffic to the impact area, most all available channels go to outbound only so people can call for help and supplies. I found that text messages still worked, but slow. Would be good to have CB, plus small radios for your group in case they are out of the car. If you take a generator, take a log chain to keep it where you leave it.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This went from funny to serious but it's not a bad idea. I am like Spike. We have disaster plans for the family, and I really do keep my backpacking gear in the pack. I can have guns, ammo, survival gear, fishing gear, non-perishable food, gas, tools (including mechanic tools as well as ax, shovel, and chain saws), and clothes ready to roll in 10 min. When I finish my trailer build that will add to my capabilities and increase my response time. Had a large grass fire threatening our house about a week ago so I know how fast I can have the family packed and out. (Everything was fine BTW, they stopped it a ways from the house.) All good suggestions from Spike and Savannah. I was there doing door-to-door searches after Katrina. I was always prepared before but I learned lessons while I was there as well. And don't forget a first-aid kit. Mine is a bit more advanced than an average kit but you should definitely have a first-aid kit.

Last edited by discomedic4; 09-25-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Why do you need a oil filter Savannah?
The last thing I'm going to be worried about is my next oil change.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Filter gets hole punched in it from junk on road, or what you had to drive thru. Of course, those with a skid plate have less problems with that. Granted, steel scrap can get the radiator, oil pan, or tranny - but those are hard spares to carry. And you may not have to change your oil, but Murphys Law says your Rover will develop new leaks, so oil, tranny fluid, and 85W140 might be good to have also. Pretty soon there won't be any room for the flat screen. Will need oil and filter for gen set, when I worked in Andrew we ran on generator for a solid week (a 50 kw Onan). Shut down once to check oil level. Most gen sets spec a 50 hour oil change. Little generators run at 3600 rpm, big ones run at 1800.

If you are headed away from a hurricane, they throw off tornados. When Hugo came ashore, they were tracking about 57 of them before the weather radar in Charleston blew down. 125 miles inland, Columbia had 90 mph winds. Lots of trees down on roads. Need those saws, if chain saw, need two stroke oil. If stuck in one of those nearby areas, you may not have power for weeks.

Another thing to take is clean underwear and socks, some laundry soap and bath soap. You may be living out of your truck for a while. Medicine, female specialty items, pet food, the list goes on.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol yall have a good plan!

This is what I would do.

1. forget the grocery store, go to the ware house. They will have all the caned food and the non perishables.

2. grab family and run for the hills, get at least 100 miles from your address. This way you will have lowered the chances of running into someone you may know, you wont feel as badly when they ask for food or water.

3. grab as much charcoal for water petrifaction.

4. set up camp with your back towards a lake or river preferably on a hill. Back yourself in a corner your gonna want to fight not run.

5. keep a couple people up at all

6. Try to find a bunch of light bulbs and scatter them all around your perimeter, cut your enemy foot at the same time giving your self a early warning.

I know it seems harsh, but desperate people do desperate things.

Quick Reply: zombie apocalypse