Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

zombie apocalypse

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atancreti
What about an EMP??? How do we protect our rovers from that?
faraday cage, with a spare ECU, and Transmission ECM.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

EMP will cause failure of semiconductors, but old Rovers with diesel, and mechanical fuel injection pumps should be OK. Their wiring diagram fits on a napkin. Would need a spare alternator. Now a Freelander is toast.

A 1.4 Megaton bomb launched about 250 miles above Kansas would destroy most of the electronics that were not protected in the entire Continental United States. During the brief return to atmospheric testing in 1962, a 1.4 megaton nuclear weapon was detonated over Johnston Island at an altitude of about 250 miles. The effects of EMP were observed in Hawaii, 800 miles east of the detonation. Streetlights and fuses failed on Oahu and telephone service was disrupted on the Island of Kauai.

But for EMP can be mitigated by metal shielding and use of fiber optics. It is unlikely that a rouge nuke would be detonated at high altitude. In the area nearby basically our vehicles would stop. Most everything we depend on in infrastructure (cell phones, GPS receivers, computers, ATMs) would stop. All at the same time. But the EMP range is kind of line of sight, so a truck bomb is not going to shut down everything for hundreds of miles.

If we have to worry about EMP, the other other guys have to worry about a fleet of 14 Trident subs, each with 24 MIRV missles, each missle by treaty (SALT) can carry 8 reentry vehicles, 475 kiloton yield each. Hiroshima bomb was about 20 kilotons.

The question is if the US would use them. So far, we haven't been provoked. Would a single nuke by a renegade bunch do it (see "Sum of All Fears")?

Just in case, Lockheed builds these missles at the Kings Bay Naval base in south Georgia, which is also home to half the subs.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Carry a master key(aka bolt cutters)
I prefer a battering ram, and yes i do have one

Old 09-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Why waste your time and money on buying fuel as you "bug out" of town?
Thats why you have 20gal of treated fuel in your garage as well as a hand pump for siphoning fuel from abandoned cars, boats, etc.
When it comes to saving my family I will NOT be generous or care who I "steal" from.
I will not be worried about maintenance on my truck, I will not be worried about the brand/grade/quality of fuel that I source.
I will have no trouble punching a hole in the oil pan of a "donor" to get oil for my truck should I need it.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
Why waste your time and money on buying fuel as you "bug out" of town?
Thats why you have 20gal of treated fuel in your garage as well as a hand pump for siphoning fuel from abandoned cars, boats, etc.
When it comes to saving my family I will NOT be generous or care who I "steal" from.
I will not be worried about maintenance on my truck, I will not be worried about the brand/grade/quality of fuel that I source.
I will have no trouble punching a hole in the oil pan of a "donor" to get oil for my truck should I need it.
Right on, Family first.... I'm thinking a bit bigger than a half tank here, a quarter tank there. I would steal a tanker truck.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, agreed on pilfering from donor vehicles; however, if your place of refuge is isolated, and you will be there a while, you might need your own oil, if no other vehicles around. Another source of oil and sometimes stored fuel is communications towers, which usually have a generator somewhere. Railroad crossings that are lighted will have stand by batteries.

Never try to buy fuel in the disaster area when leaving. But if you are a long way from things, and there is that last chance place, it will extend your range. Or it could be a trap....

Old 09-30-2011, 05:21 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Name:  h1.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  71.2 KB
Name:  FunkerHearseArtCar.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  66.2 KB
Name:  fdgd_robert_basler.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  98.2 KB
Name:  fdgd_robert_basler2.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  102.5 KB
Name:  primary_gun.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  59.9 KB
Name:  P2290089_alexi_mad_max_hearse_wings_fire.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  50.7 KB
Name:  Resident_evil_alexi_5000_4.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  78.9 KB

Well if your gonna fight off flesh eating zombies then you need something like this: Meet Alexi the hearse with bat wings and a legitimate flame thrower! Add gear like this to our Land Rover's and we'll take on anything!

courtesy of Hearsecon.com: A Alternative led hearse convention, founded and maintained by Zachery Helm (Guy with red Mohawk, owner of Alexi)

Old 10-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh my god, i can't believe i just found this thread....why didnt anybody tell me???? I thought you guys were my friends.
First off, i live in philly, so im glad you guys have all of these lakes and mountains to run to and all of these "woods" (im not quite sure what that is) but i live in a bustling metropolis and there's only one place i can think of that would get me pretty damn safe from zombies pretty damn fast. There's a boat harbored in Philly, like 2 miles from my house called the SS UNited States, it's bigger than the titanic and is sitting in the delaware river, dormant.
Name:  ss_us.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  17.6 KB
It's also conveniently located immediately across the street from 2 grocery stores and a Lowes. I would rob all of these places for supplies and use my 30-06 carbine to keep them under my control. Then once i got on the SS US, i'd haul all the mooring ropes up except the anchor and that i'd cover in barb wire or soemthing like that. So no one could come up. if for some FREAK reason zombies got onto my boat, there are so many bulkheads and sealable doors that i'd guarantee separation from them. Everyone else has covered the majority of cash, gas, food, guns etc. Thats a standard. But this is where im going, and if you're near philly, i'm taking applications for your position on my boat

Captain Turf

Here's a google maps view of the boat in relation to super fresh, and lowes and best buy and some other stuff.
Name:  BoatSHow.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  77.2 KB

Old 10-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Old 12-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Quick Reply: zombie apocalypse