Other All other Land Rover vehicles.

D90 kit car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D90 kit car?

So, I have been having a great time with my Disco 1 and probably will never get rid of it. However I have always wanted a D90 TDi. So, this is a long way off, but I noticed good D90 replacement frames are available. So, my question is can I fab together a D90 body to put on it? I have seen most of the parts, but am not familiar with all the parts needed to build a complete tub....are they all available. I would probably pick up a "parts" Disco 1 for the drive train. I know people that have made "kit cars" and this would probably be the titled the same.....anybody done this?

advntrjnky

Old 05-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Nobody has any insight?

advntrjnyk

Old 05-07-2011, 02:48 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nobody checks this section, try posting in the DI section and I'm sure you'll get all kinds of opinions! I'm just bored out of my mind at work so I accidentally hit this section

That would be a VERY interesting build though.....

Old 10-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Drifting

That is a good idea but the bad news is the D90 as a kit car will not be DOT approved. DOT are aware of this and that some people have tried this route. The other risk is all the insurance in the world will not save you after you have been involved in a wreck. The insurance companys will take your money but when the time comes to pay that is when questions will be asked and they WIL REJECT YOUR CLAIM. The only way to get a D 90 is buy one that has been legally imported between 1994 and 1997. You can go for a Series II A and put a D90 front end on it. Also read BUYER BEWARE on the East Coast Rover web site.
Another issue to research is on mods to a Series II A or Series III. How far you can go with mods and what you can change is a bit obscure .
If you want import a Landy it has to be more than 25 years old. The Landy owners in the UK are aware of the USA restrictions and you have to be careful what you buy unseen, They will also try their best to get as much money for the beater/junk that they can. Check ECR they have a bunch of series trucks for sale
Woza

Last edited by woza; 10-31-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: some mistakes