Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Completely restored 2004 Discovery II low mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 04:49 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Completely restored 2004 Discovery II low mileage

SOLD
I spent four months restoring this legend with the intention to keep it forever, but plans don't always work out, so I have made the difficult decision to offer it up for sale. Hopefully another enthusiast can take and treasure this rare find.

It is a 2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 SE with less than 93K miles on the clock, in great condition. The car was parked in a barn since 2015, and I purchased in March 2020. According to the previous owner, the reason for 'abandoning' was that the car wouldn't start. I feel very lucky, it turned out to be just a bad fuel pump that caused it to hibernate for five years.
Covid came, I needed a project keep me busy while in isolation, so I decided to restore this beauty to its glory, and make it right. I used only high quality/OEM grade parts and took my time to do it by the book. Starting with the frame, there was surface rust, a common symptom for Discos. Engine sat unturned for five years, I decided it to take it apart, inspect, clean and change all gaskets and everything else that may become apparent. I ended up spending about 1000 hours and a good amount of money in parts, but the results speak for themselves.
Here is a quick summary of what I've done to this car, and I am sure I may have forgotten a few things:

ENGINE/TRANSMISSION:
-New fuel pump - Bosch
-Removed and cleaned intake (complete tear down, including throttle body clean/replace, all new gaskets).
-Removed and rectified heads (minor rectification needed, just 3/1000, but did it anyway). Lapped valves, new valve stem oil seals.
-Replaced Head gaskets (not that it needed, but I was there already), assembled heads with new OEM head bolts.
-New NGK iridium spark plugs and new spark plug wires
-New pulleys, tensioner and serpentine belt (Bearmach and Dayco).
-New water pump (Airtex, same as original)
-New steering pump (Hobourn, OEM), old one was not leaking but was rusty
-New radiator (Nissens), new coolant sensor
-New A/C compressor (Valeo), new A/C condenser and dryer. A/C was vacuumed and refilled, it is cooling ice cold.
-New O-rings, new cooling system hoses, new thermostat
-New SAI (secondary air injection) solenoid, replaced SAI pump air filter with K&N instead of factory foam, new SAI pump rubber mounts.
-New oil sump gasket (removed the oil pan to inspect shaft and lower part of the engine, no problems found)
-Alternator refurbished, new ballbearings, new brushes.
-New front drive shaft with greasable U-joints (from Lucky 8)
-New transmission filter, replaced transmission fluid
-Replaced differential and transfer case fluids

FRAME:
-Raised the vehicle on jackstands, removed axles and suspension. Cleaned all surface rust, then treated with Ospho (rust converter) and painted with three coats of Eastwood Rust Encapsulator Plus. I did it all by the book, if Eastwood warranty promise is correct, the frame should be rust free for at least 10 years.

SUSPENSION/STEERING:
-Replaced everything with new parts, except the differentials and CV axles, which are in great shape.
-New axle shaft oil seals, front and back
-Replaced front shock towers, with heavy duty Terrafirma skeleton. This is a known weakness of the Discos, but not anymore for this beauty.
-New steering ball joints, upper and lower, both sides Bearmach (hardest part of the whole project was to replace the ball joints)
-New all-around shocks, Terrafirma
-New spring coils, Lesjofors
-New brake rotors, Brembo, new pads, Akebono
-New wheel hub assembly (all four, front and back), genuine LR, ordered in UK and had it shipped (very expensive...)
-Remanufactured calipers
-New brake lines, replaced brake fluid
-New steering drag link and track tie rod
-New steering damper Terrafirma
-New sway bar links, front and back
-Steering alignment

MISCELANEOUS OTHER:
-Installed a new 10 inch Android based touch screen radio (brand is Pumpkin Audio), with steering wheel button integration, LAND ROVER logo boot up, Apple CarPlay and AndroidAuto, navigation, reverse camera. I still have the original radio-casette, which is included in the sale (maintained the original wiring, it is just plug and play).
-Replaced factory 6.5 inches speakers with new high fidelity Alpine speakers. Replaced woofers in tailgate door with new low profile high performance woofers.

-Roof and hood had peeling clear coat paint. Had both stripped and repainted professionally at a reputable body shop, perfect color match.
-Replaced headliner with black contemporary material, now having two tone (beige/black) look.
-Replaced alcantra on door panel inserts, now having the same two tone black/beige look on the doors (matching the headliner),
-Five new tires, Continental all season
-Replaced windshield cowl plastic trim, and A-pillar exterior plastic trim, all with NEW genuine LR parts.

Everything works great in this vehicle, there are no known issues. All service is up to date, all fluids are freshly changed, all shafts are greased. Given the fact that suspension and steering are virtually new, there is added peace of mind and you shouldn't have to worry about maintenance for a while.

Asking price is $15,000, vehicle located in Columbus OH.

Please contact me with any questions.

Last edited by pchilof; 10-26-2020 at 11:07 AM. Reason: SOLD
Old 10-24-2020, 02:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 151 Likes on 95 Posts

sent you a PM. not sure if it went through or not since I'm a new member. I'm @tnrangerover on instagram as well if you can't respond.

Old 10-24-2020, 05:17 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I had $15k I'd be on the way to you to pick this up now. Very nice truck man! GLWS.

Old 10-24-2020, 07:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Wow, super nice truck. GLWS

Old 10-26-2020, 08:46 AM
3rd Gear

The truck is now SOLD. There was a lot of interest on this vehicle, if I had a dozen of them, all would have been sold over the weekend. I am starting to miss it already.... I have a feeling I will be looking for another one to restore soon.

The following users liked this post:
gravitylover (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 09:43 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amazing Job

Wish I needed another car, but I have a few friends that might be interested. Is it black? Hard to tell from picts.

Jay

Old 10-26-2020, 09:45 AM
3rd Gear

It is Epsom green. And it is sold.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:56 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very interested in your 2004 Discovery, I would like to arainge to see the vehicle.
R/Kevin