General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another should I buy Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 01:41 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another should I buy Question

So here is the deal, I just sold my 1977 RHD FJ40 and only used it to go 4 wheeling or to go to moutain bike races (have a company car). I want a suv that had more creature comforts so I started looking at the 99-2004 Discoveries price range about $6,000 to $8,000. when I called a local Land Rover mechanic to get some advice he said that the newer the better but try not to buy over 80,000 miles. Here is the question he also said he had a 2001 Range Rover for sell it is his personal car with 84,000 miles for 9,000 but could work with me. I'm going to look at it tomorrow. What do you guys think?

Old 09-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought this one for $6,000.00 in S.C. had all it's papers and is now at the vet getting work done on it to bring it 100% spot on.
Total in the RR will be $8,500.00. It is 132,000 miles
AS far as your buy this just shows you what I found on the exact same year
It is 2001 4.6 HSE

Attached Thumbnails Another should I buy Question-mutt2-1.jpg  
Old 09-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually a mechanic's vehicle is very well taken care of. However, that is not always the case. The price is OK. If he recently did the head gaskets, then the price is fair. Otherwise, its a bit high.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:59 AM
8th Gear

Thanks for responding, I went to look at it and it was very clean and actually had 72,000 miles it was an 01. It was gold which is a color I hate but other than that I liked it alot. I also saw a 2003 Discovery with 100,000 miles on it for 7,500 black on black clean. My problem is I think the Dicovery is a better fit for me since I know that I will eventually want to modify the truck for off roading and I don't see to many Ranger Rovers done like that but do see some Discoveries. Is there a reason for that?

Old 09-19-2010, 11:00 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually both vehicles are completely capable of going offroad without modifications. You just have to learn to drive the vehicle first. If you don't believe me take two hours and get lessons at a Land Rover experience school center. You will be surprised at what they are capable of.

Out side of protection underneath and possibly a winch and offroad tires, you wont need anything else.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the vin of the 03 ptherwise you may end up with a blown motor and being pretty pissed like a lot of other owners.

I have a 99 Disco and and a 97 Range. They both have different attitudes and drive completely different. I like my P38 more because there are not as many out there and everyone is suprosed when they see it off road. It is not as popular as the Discovery and that is why there is not as much aftermarket support for it.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:22 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
Actually both vehicles are completely capable of going offroad without modifications. You just have to learn to drive the vehicle first. If you don't believe me take two hours and get lessons at a Land Rover experience school center. You will be surprised at what they are capable of.

Out side of protection underneath and possibly a winch and offroad tires, you wont need anything else.
I strongly agree. I was an offroad instructor with The Land Rover Experience from 2000-2004. You can take a bone stock Discovery II or RR on standard OEM tires just about anywhere (and well beyond your skill level). However, if you really plan on modifying the vehicle I would stick with the Discovery Series II. Winch bumpers, springs, locking diffs, underbody and sill protection, etc are much more widely available for the Discovery. Also, my experience is that you will have less problems with a modified Discovery than a modified RR (especially suspension). However, if you plan to keep the vehicle stock beyond a change of tires then either vehicle can be recommended.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:57 AM
Overlanding

If you are going to be doing minor off-roading (hills, wooded areas, slick surfaces, etc.) I would probably go with the RR in a stock configuration. If you are in to more extreme wheeling (mud holes, rock crawling, etc.) then I would probably run a Disco because you are more than likely going to break parts and they are much less expensive/available for a Discovery. Or if you are just looking for something to modify it would probably be cheaper to go Disco.

This is probably blasphemy but if you are looking for a good trail rig that can also run up and down the interstate and you are not stuck on Land Rover I would suggest an FJ80 Land Cruiser. Their are a ton of aftermarket parts available for these vehicles, they are much more reliable (don't really have to worry about blowing head gaskets (RR & Disco), blowing an air bag (Range Rover), etc.) and are just as capable or more so (debatable) off road. If you can get one with electronic locking differentials they are pretty bad *** in stock form. Enough about the Yota's though. Good luck with your decision.