General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to disable/remove engine immobiliser

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 10:21 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to disable/remove engine immobiliser

I have a 2000 model P38 4.8 HSE which has a problem recognising the ignition key from time to time. On 3 occasions now, it has decided to immobilize the engine, requiring towing and rescanning at great expense and inconvenience. If this happens in the desert, I'm screwed!
The car is 11 years old and frankly, I think anyone silly enough to want to steal it can have it. What I'd like to do is remove or disable the engine immobiliser so the little monster can't mess with me any more. Of course, my RR dealer tells me "No Sir, that is impossible". My question of "Do you mean impossible, or against company policy?" was met with a wry smile and a wobble of the head.
Can anyone offer any advice? A car that randomly locks you out may as well be your mortal enemy.

Last edited by Bryan Siebel; 05-06-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can understand your frustration. It has happened to me on several occasions. Surprisingly, never with a Land Rover. It is possible to disable it, I will tell you that much. Unfortunately I don't exactly know how to do it. It will probably involve changing your BECM out with a US spec one. Since it ultimately makes the go, no go decision. The US spec ones did not have such a picky immobilization system. They still have them though. I am assuming you are in another country right?

Another thing you might consider, is having your driver and passenger actuators replaced. They are usually the culprit with a randomly locking and unlocking rover. They can cause all sorts of other alarm issues as well. Might want to check out this site: Security and Alarm System Operation & Diagnosis on Range Rover 4.0/4.6/P38A

BTW, what did you do to get a 4.8 HSE?

Old 05-06-2011, 06:09 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by LRScott
I can understand your frustration. It has happened to me on several occasions. Surprisingly, never with a Land Rover. It is possible to disable it, I will tell you that much. Unfortunately I don't exactly know how to do it. It will probably involve changing your BECM out with a US spec one. Since it ultimately makes the go, no go decision. The US spec ones did not have such a picky immobilization system. They still have them though. I am assuming you are in another country right?

Another thing you might consider, is having your driver and passenger actuators replaced. They are usually the culprit with a randomly locking and unlocking rover. They can cause all sorts of other alarm issues as well. Might want to check out this site: Security and Alarm System Operation & Diagnosis on Range Rover 4.0/4.6/P38A

BTW, what did you do to get a 4.8 HSE?
Thank you. This gives me some info to track down. Still if anyone can answer this definitevely, I'd be much obliged.
Good guess on my location. I am in the Dubai, doing the Aussie expat thing.
The car was a gift from a couple, dear friends, whom we helped out a couple of times. They are leaving the country and the car wasn't worth enough in their minds to go through the hassles of selling, so they gifted it. Amazing, but true.
Thanks again for your input.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:44 PM
4th Gear

I have a '98 discovery and every ime I try to start the ignition disables and alarm sounds. If I unlock the door with the key in a seq the try it will start. Also when off there is a knocking from under the good and is draining the battery. This is are family's only means of transport right now and are tight on money. Please help. Thanks