Range Rover L322 (3rd Gen) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover L322 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 RR engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 08:32 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 RR engine replacement

I'm sure the answers exist to my questions, but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for, so forgive duplicates (newbie forum member here).

Background:
  • Religiously serviced 2004 Range Rover
  • Blew first engine at 86K miles (apparent oil pump failure, which led to catastrophic engine damage)
  • Replaced with remanufactured engine
  • Now at 122K miles, engine has severe, loud "ticks". Only one cylinder is firing properly and producing compression. Local (reliable) shop in the DC-area (Bethesda, MD) advised to send truck to salvage (not sure why, as no one owns an RR based on a cost-benefit analysis. This shop refurbs loads of Defenders, so can't discern the aversion to "simply" replace an engine on a RR)
  • Abhor the idea of trashing my truck that's accompanied me to multiple countries; plus, don't want to give-in to "throwaway" culture. With that said, it's really irritating to be evaluating a third engine when my '93 Isuzu Trooper gave me 500K miles of excellent service before it gave up the ghost
Questions:
  • Where can I go for an alternate opinion / engine replacement in the Washington, DC area (or beyond)?
  • What considerations should I be giving to this decision (I'm clearly clouded by nostalgia)
Many thanks in advance for your help!

L.O. Alvarado
Stubborn owner of a 2004 Range Rover