Range Rover L322 (3rd Gen) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover L322 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Misfire - Engine needs replaced

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 08:19 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Misfire - Engine needs replaced

Looking for some help here.

Vehicle: 2012 Range Rover Supercharged - 5.0L V8 - 115,535 Miles

Chain of events:
(Apr-03-2012): Timing chain and tensioner repair done. Found out that this is a common problem with these 5.0L engines and there is a class action lawsuit with LR on them. Milage 77,890
(Mar-03-2022): Engine oil maintenance service performed - Mileage 113,149. FYI. It was maintained in between. This is just the last successful maintenance prior to the major issue.
(Mar-2022): Drove from MI to NC. Engine light came on while driving on the way back. I was pushing 80mph. Received a “reduced performance” message and felt misfire. Prominent hesitation while hitting the gas from a stop. Made it home and had the car towed to the dealership. - Mileage 115,535
(Mar-29-2022): Dealer took 2 months to do detailed diagnostics. They even opened up a case with LR and sent me the detailed notes but their final diagnosis is that the engine needs replacement. Below was in the document from the dealership:

Any support or ideas that anyone can share to help me salvage the situation would be much appreciated!!! I’m located in SW Michigan.

Diagnostic from Paperwork:
CUSTOMER STATES VEHICLE HESITATING WHEN ACCELERATING AND REDUCED POWER NOTIFICATION IS ON DASH. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON-DIAGNOSIS $ 180.99
Installed LR105439 : KIT FUEL INJEC. VERIFIED CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON.
REMOVE AND REPLACE FUEL INJECTOR PER PREVIOUS ESTIMATE.
NOTE: ENGINE MISFIRE STILL PRESENT. PERFORMED COMPRESSION CHECK AND FOUND CYLINDER COMPRESSION
BANK 1 160,155,155, 155,
BANK 2 135.140.140
PERFORMED LEAK DOWN ON ENGINE, FOUND CYLINDER AND 6 AT 80 PERCENT. SUBMIT TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE CASE.
TA 3369283. PERFORMED PICO SCOPE OF IGNITION COILS AND FUEL INJECTORS. FOUND SIGNAL TO BE OK. RECOMMEND ENGINE REPLACEMENT, REMAINING
FUEL INJECTORS, NEW SPARK PLUGS AS ORIGINAL SPARK PLUGS ARE WORN AND IGNITION COILS

I also have the detailed correspondence between the dealership and the tech support. Including some of the key points below:

Detailed Diagnostics
Primary Diagnostics: certification level L4. verified check engine light is on. previously customer stated independent shop replaced fuel injector. approximately 3 years ago timing chains, tensioners and guides wee replaced.
Secondary Diagnostics: scanned for fault codes, found p0304, p0305, p0306 faults logged. checked misfire: counts and found cylinder 4 was highest at 255.
remove and replace fuel injector and spark plug. reset cm adaptions, cleared fault codes. performed road terit, misfire is still there, removed coil connections and checked noid light, found pulse on cylinder 4. off idle acceleration is decent, misfire is definilely felt at idle. monitored timing using datalogger, found readings are similar across each bank. did bore scope the cylinder and found a slight gash on top of piston, outer area. attached picture. Ran compression on cylinder 4, found it at 140. compared that to opposite bank rear cylinder which is 155. did move coils to different cylinders with no apparent change. also monitored fuel pressure, desired and actual seem ok. i do not see the hp pump test available in service functions. attached latest
session file as well.

Detailed notes from the tech case opened with LR tech support:
—————————————————————————
As discussed please verify the cylinders in which are showing the misfire counts.
Continue with PICO scope
Would recorfmend replacing all spark plugs.
Update when completed.
Regards

>>>>>
have performed the pico scope on the injectors, attached one of pico files, the other
was too large. attached pico signals of coils. verified cylinder 4,6 are on driver side by
unplugging the cylinder 2 and eventually 1 watching the counts add up. will advise to
replace spark plugs. at this point, i would have tu believe its internal to the engine. a
mechanical issue. the other injector file says it is too large to share via email or attach
to the case. i took a picture of it with my phone and attached. Thanks
>>>>>>>>>>
Thanks for the update.
In PICO Land Rover 20220420-0003.psdata which color is what cylinders? the green
and red seem to have dips which shouldn't be.
I would recommend checking the condition of that ground spice.
We aren't able to see enough info from the picture of the injector PICO, can you try to
email it to xxxxxx@jaguarlandrover.com or use tre dropbox instructions I've
attached.
Regards

>>>>>>
here is the link for the drop box. the injector files are 20220421.002 and 003. 002 is
channel a,b is cylinder 2, cylinder 4 is c,d. 003 , channel a,b is still cylinder 2 and c,d
is cylinder 6. the file you asked for is for the coils on the ground.
>>>>>>>
Thanks for the update.
PICO of the injectors and coils all look good leaving us with mechanical portion as possible failure.
I would agree to replace this engine and recommend all new spark plugs, coils and injectors also as part of the refresh.
Regards
>>>>>>
ok thanks, at this point i think we can close it. i will inform the customer.

—————————————————————————-

Thank you for your time in reading through this and providing your feedback!!