Range Rover L322 (3rd Gen) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover L322 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 12:45 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifter noise

i have a 2012 range rover with the 5.0 l engine that has lifter noise/tick. Has
anyone had this issue?

Old 09-28-2019, 08:13 AM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

This is in the wrong forum, but no matter. Lifter issues are rare, but sometimes do happen. I would be more inclined to think you have a timing chain issue or if supercharged, a worn out coupler.
To gauge the condition of the chain, you can remove the oil fill cap and use a long hook tool to push/pull on the chain. this will show you how much deflection you have.
If you have a supercharger, you can remove the supercharger belt and run it (it will be ok to start) and see if the noise goes away. If it does, its in the supercharger. With the engine off and belt removed, you can grab the supercharger pulley and rock it with your hand. If worn, you will feel noticable play and actually make a noise in doing so.
Lifter diagnosis will require valve cover removal for inspection.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:53 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by LR Techniker
This is in the wrong forum, but no matter. Lifter issues are rare, but sometimes do happen. I would be more inclined to think you have a timing chain issue or if supercharged, a worn out coupler.
To gauge the condition of the chain, you can remove the oil fill cap and use a long hook tool to push/pull on the chain. this will show you how much deflection you have.
If you have a supercharger, you can remove the supercharger belt and run it (it will be ok to start) and see if the noise goes away. If it does, its in the supercharger. With the engine off and belt removed, you can grab the supercharger pulley and rock it with your hand. If worn, you will feel noticable play and actually make a noise in doing so.
Lifter diagnosis will require valve cover removal for inspection.
How much deflection is to much on the timing chain? Or, should it be have zero deflection?

Old 09-30-2019, 07:15 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Since there is little span between the two gears where you can check it, I like to see little to no deflection. Its hard to quantify something like that, as there is no spec that I can find. I just know by experience what good and bad look like. How much movement are you seeing? Also, try bumping the engine over (quickly start and stop) and check the chain each time. Depending on where the engine stopped, it can falsely appear tight. At no time should it be loose though.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:43 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by LR Techniker
Since there is little span between the two gears where you can check it, I like to see little to no deflection. Its hard to quantify something like that, as there is no spec that I can find. I just know by experience what good and bad look like. How much movement are you seeing? Also, try bumping the engine over (quickly start and stop) and check the chain each time. Depending on where the engine stopped, it can falsely appear tight. At no time should it be loose though.
Thanks for the response, I have checked it several times and it is tight with very little movement. I am taking it in for 100k maintenance in December so that will be on the list.

Old 03-09-2022, 11:29 AM
2nd Gear

Hi, what was your issue? Was it a lifter? Thx