Range Rover L405 (Fourth Gen) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover 405 within.

2014 L405 Multiple Misfires (V8 Supercharged)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 08:19 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 L405 Multiple Misfires (V8 Supercharged)

Hi All,

I have a 2014 Range Rover V8 Supercharged with approximately 97K miles on it. I have not had any problems with the vehicle at all until last week. I turned the car on from running an errand less than 1 mile away from my home and the car had a stutter to it,. Once I put the car in drive the cars engine light started flicking continuously. I drove directly to my family mechanic and he said there are multiple misfires. He said that the spark plugs or coils would read if that was the problem and it didn't. So he then had the vehicle towed to the Land Rover dealer in NJ. Land Rover service department said I need an engine with no real explanation. I can't believe a 7yr old vehicle with less than 100K miles an engine would go without and knocking or leak. The Dealer said 20-25K for a new engine, SMH.
I'm thinking it's an electrical problem. maybe even a fuel injectors.
Has anyone on the forum had this happen? Please help
Thx

Tai-

Old 02-10-2021, 08:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Well. That's quite a story. I'd be interested to know which NJ LR dealer said 'you need a new engine' just like that with no explanation whatsoever. It's a strong shout, certainly.

Your mechanic did nothing to the vehicle, correct? Then had it towed? Did he read the fault codes? If not you need to start there. Doesn't sound like his fault finding skills were heavily taxed during the time he had your vehicle.

If it's still with LR, then you need a full explanation as to why it needs and engine and report back. You should request the diagnostics and a full list of all fault codes emailed to you (they may charge for this). Armed with that information you should be able to make some more informed decisions. Until I got to the part when you said you need a new engine I was thinking it sounds like a battery/electrical connection issue to me.

Good luck.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:18 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the mechanic saw multiple codes and he was honest that he didn’t want to go touching anything. So he figured he would send to LR Parsippany.
I agree, I don’t understand how that call was made for an engine. I am definitely getting the print out of the diagnostic.
The car ran great with no warnings, no leaks or no loud noise in the engine.

I will keep you guys updated once I receive the diagnostic report.

Thx again for your response

Originally Posted by pagoda
Well. That's quite a story. I'd be interested to know which NJ LR dealer said 'you need a new engine' just like that with no explanation whatsoever. It's a strong shout, certainly.

Your mechanic did nothing to the vehicle, correct? Then had it towed? Did he read the fault codes? If not you need to start there. Doesn't sound like his fault finding skills were heavily taxed during the time he had your vehicle.

If it's still with LR, then you need a full explanation as to why it needs and engine and report back. You should request the diagnostics and a full list of all fault codes emailed to you (they may charge for this). Armed with that information you should be able to make some more informed decisions. Until I got to the part when you said you need a new engine I was thinking it sounds like a battery/electrical connection issue to me.

Good luck.